another for the learned, one law for the brave and another for the

timid, and within family limits one law for the parent and no law at all

for the child."

I'm only saying.

Brian (again)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

''The new details will include evidence that the maid lied to prosecutors about her caught-on-tape plotting for a Strauss-Kahn payday just one day after the alleged assault, and that she also lied to them about having had sex the night before the alleged assault -- a consensual encounter that offers an innocent explanation for redness cited by her lawyers as proof of Strauss-Kahn's guilt, the sources said.''

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/08/history-bombshells-dsk-case/41567/ 

''In the end, Vance and his team knew there was only one person’s rights they had to protect — and it was Strauss-Kahn. The DA had no case beyond a reasonable doubt.''

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110822/manhattan/behind-scenes-how-dsk-case-fell-apart#ixzz1Vn4zDB2D

Innocent until proven guilty - just saying [;-)]

From Just Johns link:

I reported last Friday that the tipping points came from two revelations.

One was the final analysis of Diallo's telephone conversation with her imprisoned con-man ex-boyfriend the day after the alleged rape. The translation, provided by a translator chosen by prosecutors and Diallo's attorney, showed she was interested in DSK's money.

The other was the fact Diallo, an immigrant from Guinea, engaged in sex the night before the alleged rape and that the encounter might be used by DSK's attorneys to explain away some of her most private bruises.

So Diallo had sex the night before the attack and then discussed DSK’s wealth and how she might benefit from the attack. There is nothing wrong inherently with either fact. But those were far from the only problems with the case.

There were bank accounts in Diallo's name, through which more than $100,000 has passed, but she claimed to know nothing about them. Her immigration papers contained a fabricated story of rape in her homeland and genital mutilation that she repeated with such certainly that investigators became teary-eyed. Problem was it was untrue. She even cheated on her tax returns.

Investigators were the first to unearth the disturbing pattern. Even the most open-minded could not believe her. Experience gained over decades of investigating murderers and rapists told them there were too many issues about her credibility to believe what she was saying actually occurred in Room 2608 of the Sofitel in May.

Yet, prosecutors continued to hold roundtable legal and strategy sessions, culling law books for cases to support going forward with Diallo as their key, but troubled, witness.

They even brought in other skilled lawyers from their office who were not directly involved in the case. They wanted fresh eyes and ears to examine the evidence in the event there was something they missed.

Finally, after the new revelations and others surfaced recently, the hard reality set in. The case was dead. Sex-crime experts know that somewhere between 10 percent and 15 percent of all rape allegations are proven to be false. And I mean untrue and recanted — not just impossible to prove.

She should be on trial but I doubt that she will be, in the meantime the innocent man has lost a lot.

Becase he wasn't proven guilty doesn't automaticallymean he was innocent........that is why this is a real mess.

Maybe it was a set up - in whih case it worked because the case acted as a catalyst for a lot of other stuff to surface - may be in the long term thats a good thing......

[quote user="Russethouse"] Becase he wasn't proven guilty doesn't automaticallymean he was innocent [/quote]

At the risk of being pedantic RH it does, that is the law, innocent until proven guilty,
unfortunately many may hold onto their presumption of guilt, therein lies the injustice

I hope she enjoys her trip back to Guinea . . .

From the Guardian website tonight:

"Strauss-Kahn, a French presidential contender, was arrested on a plane to Europe. ... Through his lawyers he has never contested the fact that a sexual encounter took place but has denied allegations that any act was forced."

He's not guilty - he's just irresistible[:D]

Brian (again)

The only "evidence" that seems to have been throughly tested is the life of the complainant and not what allegdedly happened in the hotel room. DSK never denied afaik that a sexual encounter ocurred, he said consensual she say it wasn't. It should have been left for a judge and jury to decide and as I have said before, DSK's team could have possibly made some mileage from whatever character flaws they felt she may have had.

That she may not have been honest about things unconnected to this case eg visa application etc, does not mean that she lied about what happened in the hotel room.

[quote user="Chancer"]

From Just Johns link:

I reported last Friday that the tipping points came from two revelations.

One was the final analysis of Diallo's telephone conversation with her imprisoned con-man ex-boyfriend the day after the alleged rape. The translation, provided by a translator chosen by prosecutors and Diallo's attorney, showed she was interested in DSK's money.

The other was the fact Diallo, an immigrant from Guinea, engaged in sex the night before the alleged rape and that the encounter might be used by DSK's attorneys to explain away some of her most private bruises.

So Diallo had sex the night before the attack and then discussed DSK’s wealth and how she might benefit from the attack. There is nothing wrong inherently with either fact. But those were far from the only problems with the case.

There were bank accounts in Diallo's name, through which more than $100,000 has passed, but she claimed to know nothing about them. Her immigration papers contained a fabricated story of rape in her homeland and genital mutilation that she repeated with such certainly that investigators became teary-eyed. Problem was it was untrue. She even cheated on her tax returns.

Investigators were the first to unearth the disturbing pattern. Even the most open-minded could not believe her. Experience gained over decades of investigating murderers and rapists told them there were too many issues about her credibility to believe what she was saying actually occurred in Room 2608 of the Sofitel in May.

Yet, prosecutors continued to hold roundtable legal and strategy sessions, culling law books for cases to support going forward with Diallo as their key, but troubled, witness.

They even brought in other skilled lawyers from their office who were not directly involved in the case. They wanted fresh eyes and ears to examine the evidence in the event there was something they missed.

Finally, after the new revelations and others surfaced recently, the hard reality set in. The case was dead. Sex-crime experts know that somewhere between 10 percent and 15 percent of all rape allegations are proven to be false. And I mean untrue and recanted — not just impossible to prove.

She should be on trial but I doubt that she will be, in the meantime the innocent man has lost a lot.

[/quote]       A G R E E D   !! ...........................................

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Russethouse"] Becase he wasn't proven guilty doesn't automaticallymean he was innocent [/quote]

At the risk of being pedantic RH it does, that is the law, innocent until proven guilty,
unfortunately many may hold onto their presumption of guilt, therein lies the injustice

I hope she enjoys her trip back to Guinea . . .

[/quote]

Unfortunatley for Mr Strauss Kahn 'the law' does not get a vote in elections

As she was obviously aware of her immigration status - lies she may have told etc, why would she have fabricatd this and made a fuss ?

Frenchie, whatever you think of the woman in question, isn't it a whole lot better that all the facts about DSK came out before anyone thought of making him President........

[quote user="Rabbie"]However now that the case has been dropped we probably will never know exactly what did happen[/quote]

Exactly.

The only way DSK can show his complete innocence (or guilt) is for the case to go ahead. To me it is now in 'limbo land' which I think is worse.

That's why I like the Scottish verdict of  'Not Proven'

We know you did it

You know you did it

We just can't prove it

I'm not saying DSK is an angel by any means but the whole thing smells of 'Setup' right from the beginning and has had the desired result. DSK asperation to High Office is scuppered.  Being booted out of the IMF was a bonus.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

That's why I like the Scottish verdict of  'Not Proven'

We know you did it

You know you did it

We just can't prove it

[/quote]Which is of course what the English "Not Guilty " verdict can mean. I remember many years ago hearing a discussion between lawyers on the differences between Scats and English verdicts. It was pointed out that while the Scots "Not Guilty" meant what it said the English "Not Guilty" covered both variants.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Rabbie"]However now that the case has been dropped we probably will never know exactly what did happen[/quote]

Exactly.

The only way DSK can show his complete innocence (or guilt) is for the case to go ahead. To me it is now in 'limbo land' which I think is worse.

[/quote]

Ahhh, limboland. Q, are you suggesting that dancing and other sexually encouraging activities might have been involved??[6]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Exactly.

[/quote]

Ahhh, limboland. Q, are you suggesting that dancing and other sexually encouraging activities might have been involved??[6]

Archived