Complete France Forum

Rationing and out of stock

idun

A couple of weeks ago I noticed in my local supermarket some veggies were rationed, say two lettuce per customer and that sort of thing. They had no courgettes that day.

Within a week, there were notices up that due to flooding in Spain that certain food stuffs would be out of stock or limited for the foreseeable future.

Could not get any spinach for two days, managed in the end. Only baby courgettes available and I have not seen an iceberg lettuce for ages, although there has been packets with it ready to serve........ as if iceberg takes any prep to speak of!

In fact there has been next to no salads left, if ever there was much by the time I shop on an afternoon.

Has this affected France at all.

I know it should not have, but I remember in winter in my local SuperU often seeing veggie and salad stuff in mid winter from all over the world.

The only reason I buy courgettes is for the bit of colour that they put in dishes. As it happens I like those little flecks of green in my thick veggie soup. So I bought a marrow last week, does the same, tasteless squash with a bit of green on it.

Would not pay a fortune for courgettes.......and am loathe to pay a fortune for any veg.

The only thing I will pay more for is a nice looking romanescu (sp), they tend to be dearer and I love them, a  treat from time to time.

When I moved to France, cauli's were 10ff(£1) each, about 20-30p in the England I left.

This week, it has had to  be home made macedoine and coleslaw as salad dishes....... all made with winter veg and very nice.

In our dept. there are no shortages of fruit and veg. and salads yet. There are many local growers.

But I think there'll be a shortage of duck and chicken soon, because of the bird flu restrictions and culls. Or the prices will go sky-high. It's a serious problem - many eleveurs are considering giving up altogether, changing to pigs.

Does the UK import french chickens etc?

I cannot say I do not buy frozen peas as it is only me who feels like this about them chez moi, but I loathe them, if ever anyone puts them on my plate, I will not touch the horrible horrible things.

And yet, I love, adore, fresh peas raw or cooked, mushy peas, processed peas, and a l'etuvee.

Traditional veg are fine, plentiful. And when I was young we never ate salad in winter, in fact my diet used to be that which was truly in season......... and they do say that that is the healthiest way of eating.....

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Celeriac is easier to buy frozen Minty.

I love celeriac....yum yum.[/quote]

ALBF, if you have no objection, I think I might resort to calling you Al Bœuf or even Elboeuf as in the town?!

I'm not a great lover of celeriac but I don't mind remoulade (but don't know if I have the right word or spelling!)

Archived