Complete France Forum

Ils ont

Pads

Excuse me while I totally confuse my self , I was working on the verb Avoir / to have

my teacher has written underneath

J'ai

tu as

il/ ella/on  a

nous avon

vous avez

to the side of this she has written that these mean I am / you are / she is ect....... but as Im working on "to have" shouldnt this be:  I have/ she has you have ? or can it be used both ways ?[8-)]    

No dont say that [:'(] arggggh

We were talking as she quickly wrote this down so she could of been distacted or I wonder if she did it to see if i was paying attention but also we were talking about ages as in" j'ai 46 ans" which I know they say as I have 46 years rather than the way we say I am 46 , did we get our wires crossed or can it be used both ways 

Pads

Is your teacher native French or English with French as a second language?

Ils ont - I pronounce eelzon(t) with emphasis on the Z, this is to differentiate it from Ils sont - which I pronounce eelson(t) with emphasis on the S. The "T"s would be pronounced to make a liason with a following vowel i.e; "ils ont allé" "ils sont heureuses" (the h is silent)

The first is the verb avoir (as you know) conjugated, and means they have

The second is être meaning they are.

Perhaps your teachers notes refer to a previous lesson on the verb être?

That makes sense.  If you had been learning with the verb etre (to be)  and then she explained that to say "I am 46 " you would need to use avoir instead, as in j'ai 46 ans= I have 46 years, perhaps she wrote out the rest as examples of how you would say "you have 46", "he has 46" etc?

Ah Cat ......... let me just get this right even though Im saying "elle a 56 ans" (she is 46) in french this is (she has 46 years) so im using the Avoir verb  YES ? (probaly not the best example of the verb to use ??[8-)] but we were tying it in with my number useage)

But normally if im saying  she is I use the etre verb ?      

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

You've just made her nearly as old as me Pads !

Yes, usually for is you would use the verb être.  Elle a 46 ans, mais elle est encore très belle !

[/quote]

Christine please tell me you meant: for this you would use the verb Avoir not etre ?? or im back to confusion again [8-)] 

1st edit No your right I confused my self there for a mo !!!!!! you use etre

2nd edit , I dont know what I mean any more[:(]

[quote user="Cathy"]

Oh dear, Pads.  Who is your teacher?

[/quote]

I cant blame my teacher , its me I dont lisen , in fact when she lets me out the front door I can hear her banging her head against the back of the door as I walk away  [:$]

Learning the verbs "to have" (avoir) and "to be" (etre) at the same time is possibly the most confusing part about the French language. Unfortunately they are obviously two of the most important ones! My advice is for you to go out and get the Michel Thomas 8 hour course on CD. If nothing else it will give you confidance and understanding where a teacher will not. The guy was a genius, and his method of teaching is so far removed from anyone else. I would have given up if it wasn't for him. Combining his CDs with an hour or so speaking with someone else will help you no end, believe me. Best of luck!

[quote user="Richie-Bytes"]Learning the verbs "to have" (avoir) and "to be" (etre) at the same time is possibly the most confusing part about the French language. Unfortunately they are obviously two of the most important ones! My advice is for you to go out and get the Michel Thomas 8 hour course on CD. If nothing else it will give you confidance and understanding where a teacher will not. ![/quote]

My OH would agree if he were here but he is off playing golf with his (French) friends courtesy of the confidence and understanding he gained from Michel Thomas via the above mentioned CDs. I personally dislike MT's approach and hate his accent even more, but his method certainly seems to work for some people.

Sue

Beg steal or borrow the Michel Thomas CD's, listen to them whilst relaxing with a glass or three of wine, it is a very powerfull pyschological way of learning that will get you to a good level of conversation very quickly.

The drawback and also the beauty of them is that he does not get tied up in grammar or conjugation, in fact I dont think he even mentions gender, if you keep up your formal lessons at the same time you will have the best of both worlds.

Keep at it and keep posting Pads!

I would like to get my hands on the micheal thomas cds If there is any one out there who would like to lend them to me so i could download them on to my ipod and I could then post them back. Im loathed to buy them as Isee in wh smiths they are around 80quid and I have already spent 100s on books and cds, I could return this favour by lending the cds I have for you to copy. Would be happy to pay for the postage if any one could do this (PM Me)

I did get 2 of his cds from the free ones he did in the paper but they were the last ones of the set i got so a little past me at the mo, but did seem good

Maybe santa will get them for me [:)]   

I'll endorse what others have said about M T and I nearly suggested this to you a couple of weeks ago. Have a look on Ebay, there are some good savings to be had second hand.

Don't worry if they're boxed or not, it won't make any difference. You'll then surprise your teacher on occassions. [:D]

Just out of interest do you know if he has a web site to see the way he works all i can find is sites selling his stuff but with no examples ? Is there a web site on the box ?

I have found the same set that I saw in WH smiths for 80 pounds on amazon for 35 so have sent the site to santa hubbys email [:)]

From the website:

* Michel Thomas is available personally to conduct private courses

in French, German, Spanish and English only for interested clients

in London. Michel conducts his courses at his suite at the May Fair

Intercontinental Hotel, Stratton St., in London. All other instruction

(with an instructor) must take place at the offices (in the case of

corporate clients) or private residence of the client.

PLEASE NOTE: For all courses given by Michel in places other

than New York or Beverly Hills, the client must cover Michel's round-trip

airfare
and accommodations during the duration of the course in addition

to the regular course fees.

[8-)]  [blink]  Do you think they need to update their website?

Archived