Complete France Forum

To Marry

Pads

Im working on answering questions about people getting married , one book says: To Marry = épouser the other says : To Marry = Marier.

The questions are using Marier but sadley I cant find this one in my verb book so dont know the different tenses ( present, past, future etc I, she they.....)

What is the difference between the two,? and why isnt Marier in my hugh verb book ?    

My own take on this would be that you can use "marier" to mean to marry in the broad sense - ie you can marry things other than people  ("he married the two words/concepts/things" etc).  Epouser is specifically for two human beings tying the knot.  But that's just my take on it.

Yes, after checking a few different dictionary's I also thought this .........

But the text book im using gives questions like:

Quand vint-ils se marier?

Qui a déjà envoyé une réponse à l'annonce du mariage ?

(which i dont even under stand what this means but havnt spent a lot of time on it yet )  why before send a answer to annouce of marriage?

So I guess I should answer using this verb some how ............ even though i cant find it any where ........

Pads, don't worry too much, there aren't that many verbs that take être in the passé composé.  You were right, marier uses avoir if you are using it normally.  It's only if you use it reflexively that you need to use être.

Cathy, the passé composé is the usual way of expressing actions that were completed in the past, I got up, I drank my tea, I walked to work, I talked to my friends, etc.  It's a very easy tense to learn.

Aw, thanks M!  It is odd though because all the way to A level and beyond, pronominal was never used to describe a verb of any kind in my day.....  But then to be honest with you, I've forgotten what half the tenses/modes/parts of speech etc are actually called anyway.  It's only when Pads asks these kinds of questions that it begins to filter back into the ageing brain!

Prenominal, or as I now know it to be "pronominal" is the term that was used by my French tutor, she never seemed to understand me when I used "reflexive"

So I believe, but am not sure and woud like to be corrected, that "pronominal" is the French term for "reflexive" which could well now have a more modern term given that she was very well up on English grammar.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="TWINKLE"]Oooh!  Pads - are you getting married?[:D][/quote]Can we all come to the welding?[/quote]

Sadley you all missed it by 23 years , but next time you will all be welcome, if only I could find one as good as I have already [blink]  

Ps wouldnt it be nice if we could have a forum wedding, there must be 2 loney hearts on here we could match up , and get married , any Ideas ? Good excuse to buy a hat !![:-))] 

As an avid reader of Voici and France Dimanche, perhaps I can help with the confusion over the verb "to marry".  This one really confuses the translating web sites.

If a parent unloads an infant ie the child gets married, they write that the mother or father married her son (off) using marier (to marry) il (elle) a marié son fils.  Marier is a regular -er verb taking avoir as the auxilary verb.

If you get married yourself, you use se marier which is reflexive as others have pointed out and so uses être and accords with the subject, like elle s'est mariée.

[quote user="Pads"]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="TWINKLE"]Oooh!  Pads - are you getting married?[:D][/quote]Can we all come to the welding?[/quote]

Sadley you all missed it by 23 years , but next time you will all be welcome, if only I could find one as good as I have already [blink]  

Ps wouldnt it be nice if we could have a forum wedding, there must be 2 lonely hearts on here we could match up , and get married , any Ideas ? Good excuse to buy a hat !![:-))] 

[/quote]

Any ideas of who the couple could be?

Archived