Complete France Forum

What do you call a scraper?

mint

To be really pernicketty - if you want to use this thing to scrape out , eg, the remains of cake batter from a mixing bowl, you need a blade that's flexible. So rubber is a good material. Also a soft plastic , or the type of silicone which is used now for some baking tins.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

andy, please come back, un-huffed!  I thought raclette is a kind of cook-it-yourself cheese dish [/quote]

I'm back.[:P]

and yes a raclette is also a cheese dish, a cheese type, and the thing you use for scraping the suds off the window or shower door when you clean them

So............here I am again!  Yes, never thought about one of my credit cards., JJ.  And I do really, really use one for cleaning the windscreen of snow and ice.

Anyway, many thanks, everyone.  I was in Netto this afternoon and I saw a spatule and a "brusher" in a pack for 4 euros so I have bought that.

Not that I need a pastry brush because I have a state-of-the-art silicone and brush chrome affair (well, why shouldn't I?) and so I have a spare brusher if anyone is desperate for one!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh blast! I knew the answer to the original question, but didn't even look at the thread as I thought the scraper in question is the kind you use on a car windscreen to get rid of frost - and I don't know what THAt is called.

Une spatule or une maryse (if you watch loads of cookery programmes you will know) but as usual, Clair knew it and was so much faster on her keyboard.[:D]

Now, could anyone tell the name of the scraper for car windscreen/window? Or has it been said earlier and I have missed it?

Archived