Complete France Forum

Rendezvous or Rendez-vous

Russethouse

Of course rendez and vous are French words, and rendez-vous is also French, but IMHO rendezvous isn't. The point of the rosbif example was that I don't think you ought to take another language's words, adapt them so that they would be 'wrong' in the original language, and then say they still belong to the original language. I don't think the Académie Française would like it.

Once a word's been anglicised, as far as I'm concerned it's English - or perhaps there should be an English equivalent of franglais. How about Ensh?

[quote user="Russethouse"]Its for a pottery club magazine article that introduces 3 people to the readership...[/quote]

As you didn't tell us which language you're writing in, I don't think anyone can advise you!

But I agree with what has been said: in standard English "rendezvous" doesn't have a hyphen; in standard French it does.

By the way, "its" does need an apostrophe.

The magazine is published in English (usually US English but sometime articles are in UK English, it just has to be consistent throughout the feature) and comes with a French translation for our French members. Most of our  US/UK/Canadian/Belgian/New Zealander members are Francophiles and would understand in either language.

Archived