Complete France Forum

Shark word

Chancer

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Yes, a clochard is a tramp.

[/quote]

I have been given more than one explanation for this word.

One is that homeless people hung around the door of the church and the curé got them to ring the bell for mass in exchange for something to eat.

http://www.pourquois.com/expressions_langage/quel-est-origine-mot-clochard-.html

The other in wiki is that it comes from the verb to limp, but I don't quite see this as there is no connection between limping and being homeless in most cases..

[quote user="NormanH"]
The other in wiki is that it comes from the verb to limp, but I don't quite see this as there is no connection between limping and being homeless in most cases..
[/quote]

Could that date back to those coming back from wars and such? most of the invalids (and i'm talking about mediavel times here) couldn't work and relied on compassion and the church to survive

[quote user="nomoss"]

I was peering into my mailbox one day, and thought that my factrice was a Goon Show fan when she called out

"Il neeyakkerlepoob!"

[/quote]

Love that nomoss. We had 'pas de pub' on our letter box in France, BUT the postie had to put all the mail in that they were supposed to deliver, including the 'pub'.

Bazar in french, bazaar in english?

Instead of saying 'ça m'est egal', I used to say 'je m'en fous, which really is not terribly polite. For years I hadn't realised that the fou words were often very impolite. And sometimes 'je m'en fous' is how I'm feeling and I still say it.

I'm trying to work out the gloglott? is that how it is said???

"Clochard" is also a type of russet apple...

To go back to mysterious phrases, I remember my sister returning from a French exchange trip with the unlikely expression "fish in the bath", which I presume would have been "je te ficherai une bafle", or "I'll clock you one."

Angela

CA, I don't really know anyone who uses videos these days, or K7's either.

Now that is interesting, that K7 thing. Someone I knew was ba'hai and they used to send cassettes all over the world. No idea what of. And she would always put K7 on the package to indicate what it was. I kept telling her that just because in french it sounded right, it didn't in other languages. I don't think she believed me and thought that K7 was the universal way of saying cassette.

Archived