Complete France Forum

Clafouti

Rose

Hello... I'd like to make a Clafouti and have searched on-line and on this forum and I am finding lots of different recipies with quite different ingredients. I found an old thread on this site where Clair talked about Raymond Blanc's recipie but it was an old post and the link no longer works.

As I am going to bake this for my neighbour I'd like to try and get it right [:$]  so any tips on what I should do or not do and a tried and tested recipe would be wonderful.

many thanks [kiss]

p.s. and whilst we're talking desserts/cakes... does anyone have a tried and tested cake recipe for a diabetic's cake?

I've also eaten apple clafoutis and also pear clafouti. The pear one was delicious; it was made by our French tutor for the last class before Christmas; we had a party each year and sang French songs, carols etc. We also had one in the summer, when we played boules and had a picnic.  [:)]

thank you all for the replies - and the link... I'll have a go at the weekend [:D]

I had some recently with raspberries and strawberries and it was lovely too... and Clarkkent, oddly enough I thought it was a kind of yorkshire pudding so I had a go by making it up and the result was... sweet yorkshire pudding [blink]  it wasn't good!

[quote user="gardengirl "]I've also eaten apple clafoutis and also pear clafouti. The pear one was delicious; it was made by our French tutor for the last class before Christmas; we had a party each year and sang French songs, carols etc. We also had one in the summer, when we played boules and had a picnic.  [:)][/quote]

And don't you have one in the spring, to mark the start of the growing season, and one in the autumn to mark the harvest?[:D][:P]

• 4 months later...
[quote user="Rose"]Hello... I'd like to make a Clafouti and have searched on-line and on this forum and I am finding lots of different recipies with quite different ingredients. I found an old thread on this site where Clair talked about Raymond Blanc's recipie but it was an old post and the link no longer works.

As I am going to bake this for my neighbour I'd like to try and get it right [:$]  so any tips on what I should do or not do and a tried and tested recipe would be wonderful.

many thanks [kiss]

[/quote]

A bit late with this thread, but I have used the Raymond Blanc clafoutis recipe I mentioned in a previous post to make a variation with plums, rather than cherries.

[quote]Clafoutis aux cerises - Raymond Blanc

For the filling:

• 500g fresh pitted (or not) cherries
  • 2 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kirsch
For the dish:

• 10g melted unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons caster sugar (I didn't use that much)
For the batter:

• 100g plain flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 organic eggs and 1 egg yolk
  • 6 tablespoons caster sugar
  • zest of a lemon
  • 6 drops of vanilla extract
  • 150ml milk
  • 150ml whipping cream
  • 75g  butter.
First, marinate the cherries in the kirsch for a couple of hours.

Brush the inside of the baking dish with 10g melted butter and coat with the sugar, this will give the clafoutis a crust during cooking.

Put the flour and salt in a mixing bowl, make a well in the middle and add the eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.

Slowly incorporate the egg mixture in the flour with a whisk, until smooth, then whisk in the milk and cream.

Melt the remaining butter until it turns a pale hazelnut colour and whisk into the batter while it is still hot.

Mix the cherries and their juices into the batter and pour into the baking dish.

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 190C, until the blade of a knife, when inserted into the mixture, comes out clean.

Sprinkle with a little caster sugar and serve warm.[/quote]

In the revised recipe on the Brasserie Blanc website, it says to cool the butter, but the version above says to whisk it into the batter whilst still hot...

You take your pick... [:)]

I have never had a clafouti that didn't make me feel like I had swallowed a brick. Are these recipes 'light'.

I love a far breton and have had light ones (and sadly heavy ones too) and the light ones always have seemed pretty similar to what I had hoped a decent clafouti to be.

[quote user="idun"]I have never had a clafouti that didn't make me feel like I had swallowed a brick. Are these recipes 'light'.

I love a far breton and have had light ones (and sadly heavy ones too) and the light ones always have seemed pretty similar to what I had hoped a decent clafouti to be.[/quote]

Try the Raymond Blanc recipe. It is without a doubt the least stodgy clafoutis I have ever made.

Elle et vire creme liquide in the little long- life boxes and then use Creme fixe and and tiny bit of icing sugar to make creme chantilly.

Make sure the cream is cold, before beating it. You can use it at any stage from slightly thickened to thick.

Archived