Complete France Forum

Induction hob replacement for gas hob?

Last year I was advised that internal gas bottles were not permitted for fixed hobs in renovated properties, so resolved to replace the hob and cast around. I ignored an offer in Lidl or Aldi for a twin plate induction hob while I shopped around, and now wish I'd got one. I don't want a 4 plate and haven't found a twin plate in the UK especially not at the price seen last year, has anyone seen twin plate induction hobs on offer anywhere in France, and if so which store? Any thoughts on induction hobs?

Hell yeah, I have an induction hob at home and love it so much I have bought a ceramic hob to put in it's place when we move.  No way an I leaving my baby behind, it's bloody awesome.  Boils water in no time, heat's the pan not the room and so controllable.  I will never go back.  Most new pans now are induction suitable, aluminium won't work induction, you need to have stainless with iron or steel core implanted into the base. 

I do however, have a 4 ring halogen hob in Aubeterre that is quite good, it will be getting removed if you want it John, it all works but it's not as quick as induction.  You will find out, I am quite a keen cook and spend all day in the kitchen given the chance.

My daughter has just got an induction hob  and  it is brilliant. Quick as gas, supposed to be very fuel efficient and goes cool very quickly once  switched off. We bought one in  Ikea for the new kitchen. (£299) but cant see it being installed this year! Slow simmering cooking might be a bit of a problem as it seemed to turn itself off, but we were just getting used to it over Christmas and she had lost the operating instructions. While looking for one we saw quite a few 2 ring versions - cant lay my hands on information at the moment but try internet. I know new pans might be an issue, but was surprised to find wok and le creuset both worked well. Just needed a new frying pan.

We have an ancient ceramic hob in UK, and a wonderful induction hob in France. It's marvellous, and just as controllable as gas. This one has no knobs etc, which is fine if I'm wearing my specs, but hard to see the tiny markings I have to press otherwise. When we re-do the UK kitchen (running over 2 years late at the moment!) we'll definitely have n induction there. It's all supposed to be happening in the summer, but we've lowered our sights from a John Lewis one to maybe one from Ikea. Where did the money go?! [:)]

[quote user="crossy67"]  Most new pans now are induction suitable, aluminium won't work induction, you need to have stainless with iron or steel core implanted into the base.  I  have a 4 ring halogen hob in Aubeterre that is quite good, it will be getting removed if you want it John, it all works but it's not as quick as induction.  You will find out, I am quite a keen cook and spend all day in the kitchen given the chance. [/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but having rethought the kitchen and fitted new wooden worktops I don't want to cut in a 4 ring anything. Having been collecting le Creuset, Doufeu, Gino D'Acampo (Morrisons)  for using on the wood stove when it's going I have a few pots already. With oven, microwave, steamer, and detailed analysis of pan usage I'm convinced you only need two ring, so more worktop space! I'm really just a weekend cook, into menu cooking, though the sous chef says I'm more of a slave driver[:P]

[quote user="crossy67"]  Sorry forgot.  Ebay has 2 ring induction hobs from Germany for ir £115-£130.  Just search for induction hob.  We have a big very cheap appliance shop on our door step, find the one you want and I could see if they have it, collect it and bring it with us. [/quote]

I've seen these but they are twice the price I saw in Riberac Lidl, (£29 recent lidl single ring) so I could kick myself, more to the point I'd like a receipt from a shop I can take it back it to since I've been warned that they can be prone to failure which is too expensive to repair? Does your cheap shop do 2 ring induction?

Just a small point for anyone contemplating the purchase of an induction hob. To get the same almost instantaneous response as gas, make sure each ring has it's own temperature control. If you first have to select which ring you want to control and then having to use the temperature knob you will be defeating the object of having induction. This may seem a very minor point but it will make a big difference to your induction experience.

And make sure that the temperature control has a lot of "choices" or ranges.  We bought a single induction hob to replace the electric one which went fut (two ring not then available), and the worst thing I can say is that it only has 4 power levels which is not enough, things either boil away or don't cook quickly enough.  Variable settings or as many settings as you can get would avoid that.

It does heat so quickly it is impressive.  We are going to change the gas bottle hob for an induction, when we can find one that fits the hole the gas hob will leave when removed.  I always swore by gas, until I got an induction hob.

Cast iron pans, (some) stainless steel (I have two that don't but they were cheap ones) etc work well, aluminium - not.  Never mind, I can get rid of all the many and various pans I've acquired over the years and treat myself to a new set..... nice.

I've only experience of our induction hob, so I suppose I thought they're all alike. Our 4 'rings' have 17 settings each, plus a booster for boiling, which isn't needed, as setting 9 boils rapidly enough, and makes me think a fighter jet is approaching! I'll be sure to look for something similar for the other kitchen - but maybe minus the fighter jet!  [:)].

[quote user="phylisbide"]As an aside, could someone advise regarding the regs on internal gas bottles in renovated properties - I had not heard that they are not permitted. Advice please. Phylis
[/quote]

My plombiere advised that they are not permitted in fixed hobs (I'd asked him to connect) and should be a permanent external installation with fixed regulation pipework incorporating automatic cut off valves, he said he wasn't interested in this work just passing on friendly advice, and check with my Insurance.

The 2.4k is only at full power, when you turn them down they pulse on and off for very short bursts (well ours does).  They only heat the pan, not the room making them very efficient and your kitchen more comfortable.  Getting the food up to temp with zero direct energy waste makes them by far the most efficient.  As for controllable, I was a gas man and would have only ever considered a halogen to come close.  We have a halogen hob in Aubeterre and found it so slow compared to induction, they also turn down instantly too.

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="phylisbide"]As an aside, could someone advise regarding the regs on internal gas bottles in renovated properties - I had not heard that they are not permitted. Advice please. Phylis

[/quote]

My plombiere advised that they are not permitted in fixed hobs

[/quote]

That's another reason I'm getting rid of the gas hob - fixed hob with inside gas bottle (I've not looked to see if it is a flexible pipe or not but suspect it is) pleases me not one jot.

As for the later discussion on power ratings, I think you will find it heats so quickly that there is no huge usage of power.  Turns off (and on) instantaneously and even my poor little hob heats a pan of cold water in about a minute.  My biggest problem with an induction hob is slow simmering .... I find it doesn't keep the simmering up, rather it boils, then stops, over and over again.  So I don't use it for that - I just use my slow cooker instead.

• 1 month later...
For those interested, found a triple plate Induction hob at Carrefour, Soyaux on offer at €249, we didn't buy because I've just found a Twin Hob available in the UK on ebay, for the princely sum of £75 + 10.75 p&p, with ovens, microwave, steamers (and mini Godin[8-|]) I really don't need any more than two hotplates, so far our ancient old leccy meter has never tripped with power tools, hot water, Fridge/Freezer, oven, washing machine etc on, so fingers crossed this will satisfy requirement for browning, soups, and stir-frys!  Zaxx-Twin-Induction-Hob usual disclaimers etc.

I have a Bosch induction hob bought second hand from E_bay ad its the best thing since sliced bread, in conjunction with cast iron cookware like Le Creuset, Cousances etc which I find cheaply at rederies, it is far superior to gas.

I bought 2 of the Aldi 2 ring ones for €70 each IIRC for the first of my flats, I have tested them and they are perhaps even better than the Bosch, the controls are graduated by temperature and when I tested them if you set it for say 80 degrees centigrade the pan when checked with an infra red pyrometer was at exactkty that temperature.

I wish now that I had bought 5 more but am hoping the promo will come around again.

I am also a complete fan of halogen table top ovens, since getting mine 18 months ago the main oven has not been used and I am serching for some pan draws to match my existing units to replace it.

I recently bought 6 of these for only £9.99 + VAT each with free delivery from Makro on line (you dont need to be a Makro card holder) a third of the price of the E-bay sellers.

We have the Aldi Quigg table-top induction, both the single and double ring models. I think they are made in Germany.

Absolutely lovely to use! I can simmer gently using the lowest setting and can boil a pot of water for pasta within 5 minutes on a high setting.

I think these are not high energy users, as I can plug into a normal plug point. For the built in one, we have a special induction plug-point. I think our electrician said that we needed a three-phase supply for the built in model, but were ok with single phase for the table top induction stoves.

I would like something for quick stir-frying, but I think the wok induction stoves are very expensive!

[quote user="sunny"]  I think our electrician said that we needed a three-phase supply for the built in model![/quote]

What the . . . . ?

[quote user="sunny"]   I would like something for quick stir-frying, but I think the wok induction stoves are very expensive![/quote]

I'm assuming that just plonking a cast iron Wok on the Induction Hob would work, does it not?

amazon./Cast-Iron-Wok-

Just John, Well yes, you can use a regular induction hob, but you won't get heat on the sides, for a proper stir-fry. The induction wok hobs are dimpled, so the wok can sit snugly in and get heat on the bottom and sides, like this one: http://www.johnlewis.com/230504924/Product.aspx I have used my induction for stir-frying with a flat bottom pan, but prefer using gas and a real wok...

Archived