Complete France Forum

Not France

cooperlola

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r116/Missyesbut/Thailand2004part2077.jpg[/IMG]

Hopefully this is the right way up.... if not back to the drawing board...

Thanks Fluffy Kitten and Bugbear for writing such 'blonde-at-the-keyboard' proof instructions!!

Why do you hate it fluffy,I love bridges of all shapes and sizes, I was looking at it quite closely when I was up there and the base of it fascinates me,am I right in thinking the person who designed it died before it was finnished.I did not realise until I saw a programme the other day, that people actually used a man made beach beside it years ago.

I guess London Bridge is iconic but it doesn't have a great deal of architectural merit, does it?  It's not exactly graceful.  But personally, I like it despite its "blockiness" and gothic jimcracks.  A bit of archetypical England like the Houses of Parliament and St Stephen's Tower.

[quote user="Mister Fluffy"]Isn't it horrible! I hate it!
[/quote]

I must admit that I don't like London or owt to do with it and before anyone shouts, I was born there!

Have you ever seen the mechanics of the bridge Fluffs. That is the fantastic part. It is a wonderful bit of engineering and lovely to see, but from the outside, not for me.

As for the rings round the neck me awd Saus. It used to be a punishment in the girraffe peoples tribes, in Africa, that if one of the women was caught being unfaithful to her man she had the rings removed from her neck. It was a death sentence, because her neck muscles were so weakened by the rings being there that she could not hold her own head up, couldn't breath or eat and she died. The blokes could oat it around as they liked, but gawd help the woman that was caught!!! Politically correct now, peut etra par...

Exactly, Jon. The bridge is a marvel of engineering, and then the bl00dy Victorians go and build some fantasy castle all around the good bits! It was a major controversy when it was built - people pointed out that the Eiffel Tower didn't need stone cladding, and that good engineering was beautiful in its own right - and to my mind it still is. It doesn't fit in with the tower or the Edwardian buildings around it. Look how beautiful the exposed ironwork is, painted blue and white! Look at how tedious the Walter Scott Revival stonework is! Victorian bad taste at its most extreme, I am afraid.

[quote user="Cassis"] I have to admit I'm a bit ambivalent about the one with the girl and the rings around her neck.  Is that normal?  ... [8-)][/quote]

Cassis that girl was certainly real. She was weaving in front of me and her attention was taken away from the loom as children were shouting and playing nearby. I guess her child was amongst the group. I just went click!. It was taken in North Thailand almost at the border with Laos. I don't know the story about the African giraffe women but the story that our guide gave us about these women was that they were an ancient tribe from the Laos/Burma region and that their land had been taken away from them and they came to refuge in Thailand. The women had these rings put around their neck to remind them of the fact that their homeland was in 'the enemy's hand' and only when the land is restituted to their tribe that they will no longer have to wear these ringneck things.... Little girls of 10 or so also had these rings but not so many. They also wore these metal bracelets just below the knee.

Now I am no feminist by any mean but if there ever was such a believable story ... then fine... I just saw it as man keeping woman by his feet and under his thumb to tender his every need. A woman laden with all of that metal is not in a hurry to run away even if she really wanted to.... but then that day I was a European and I had to accept that this was their culture and who was I to interfere....

[quote user="Cassis"]I guess London Bridge is iconic but it doesn't have a great deal of architectural merit, does it?  It's not exactly graceful.  But personally, I like it despite its "blockiness" and gothic jimcracks.  A bit of archetypical England like the Houses of Parliament and St Stephen's Tower.

[/quote]

London Bridge ? Take another Butchers me old Soz !!

[quote user="verviale"] .I did not realise until I saw a programme the other day, that people actually used a man made beach beside it years ago.[/quote]

I worked at the old Royal Mint on Tower Hill for 5 yrs (1959/64), and there was definitely a beach between Tower Bridge and Traitors Gate, where children played at at low tide.

[quote user="Miki"][quote user="Cassis"]I guess London Bridge is iconic but it doesn't have a great deal of architectural merit, does it?  It's not exactly graceful.  But personally, I like it despite its "blockiness" and gothic jimcracks.  A bit of archetypical England like the Houses of Parliament and St Stephen's Tower.
[/quote]

London Bridge ? Take another Butchers me old Soz !!

[/quote]Maybe somebody should try selling it to him, Miki!