Complete France Forum

IKEA returns

Val_2

Next time you visit a store take a look in their returned items section near to the checkouts. My son wanted a dishwasher, a six place one but it cost nearly €400. He was poking about in the returns section and found one marked at €165 and asked about it. Apparently a customer bought it a few days earlier and when he got it home he decided he would prefer a 12/13 setting instead and returned it to IKEA. There was just a little dent on the door but it is one of the encasté types so has a further kitchen door fitted over it anyway. Dam good bargain I reckon.

Quite right, Val. WHen we were furnishing our French place and had to do a mercy dash to IKEA, we found a chest of drawers in the "reduced" area which exactly matched the bed we'd just bought, so we bought it even though we hadn't originally intended getting one...it also matched the dining table and chairs, so now resides in the dining room. Can't remember how much of a bargain it was, but it was a good price. ALl the more so because once we got it home and actually opened the drawers, we discovered that, as it had been ex-display, the drawers were full of rather nifty drawer dividers and three rather good cream hand towels!!

Inevitably when I find something in the 'seconds' department that I can't live without, I don't have the money and whenever I have the lolly in my hot little hands, there is nothing interesting. And I confirm that Bordeaux Ikea is quite pleasant (excluding the kitchen department).

The Montpellier branch seems good to me! I'd previously only been to one in London (awful) and the Bristol branch, which was a much better option, but I've been to Montpellier quite a lot more and find it a pretty good visit. As an aside, I like having the family card - you can keep things for ages before returning them - I think it's 90 days. And I've still to find something I want in the reduced section - but I live in hope!

I would like to endorse gardengirl's comments. I too have only been used to the Bristol branch, but now resident here I have visited the Montpellier branch on numerous occasions. Recently we bought a bed at Montpellier and duly assembled it, found out it was the wrong size, had to unscrew everything and return it,no problem at all and the customer advisor spoke perfect english. All in all a very good experience.

I think that you will find this is representative of customer service at all Ikea's in France, they work very hard to train the engrained "Frenchness" out of all their employees even the stagaires, for me a visit there is a real breath of fresh air, I have posted on this before.

Their values and mission are transmitted from the top to the bottom of the organisation, even the lowest of their employees (I hate that phrase) is an ambassador for them, the security guard in the car park who politely explained to me that I should not be taking my trolley out and the correct way to use the system also explained to me the Ikea values when I commented on how helpfull the staff were, he told me that we build our reputation on this, we dont seek to make an issue if someone chooses to return something for whatever reason, I never get the impression that staff elsewhere consider themselves to be a part of the enterprise.

One of my rare French friends who understands that there is another way than the French/Picard way says that here the moment that you walk into a shop you are assumed to be guilty of wanting to have them over and treated as such.

I love Ikea, a trip to Henin Beamont Lille for me is like crossing the channel to make purchases [:D]

Can you imagine taking back a dishwasher anywhere else in France and saying, I fitted it but dont really like it now, its only got a little dent on it, can I change it for a different model? You get bounced onto the pavement here just daring to enter a shop 20 minutes before its closing time for lunch!

Why all the french trumpet blowing?

Surely, if Ikea are doing their job right ( as you would expect from a this top notch company ) you can confidently get the same service in every country/location !

whether it is in Rotherham,Rennes or Rio!

Archived