Complete France Forum

Blood group test each time you go into hospital.

JohnRoss

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote user="5-element"]

I am not sure that gastros here  leave the decision to the patient about what kind of anaesthesia they wish to have.

[/quote]

No they don't.

I have one every 18 months and despite being at risk from GA the gastro has always insisted on it being done under GA.

[quote user="gardengirl "]For something unrelated to this thread I had 3 general anaesthetics in 7 weeks in the autumn; my brain and memory haven't yet managed to get back on track. Anyone hold out hope for that happening any time soon?[/quote]

Sounds like a very extreme cure for your insomnia [:-))]

[quote user="Swissie"]Does not make sense, unless there are strong medical reasons for doing so. GA's should only be done when absolutely necessary. Le principe de précaution indeed.
[/quote]

think there are medical and human reasons.

Fisrt, it must be easier for doctors to do the colonoscopy on an anesthetized patient ( totally relaxed ), and second, they don't want to interrupt the process in case of pain ; which is apparently too often the case.

I trust doctors as regards anesthesia , and I know what I'd prefer , GA, especially in that sort of exam... , and I don't want to be in pain when I can avoid it.

Even when I had the C section , I asked for GA , and got it .

When you have a baby, the natural way, you can have the epidural, but there again, there are some (limited) risks ,yet  I'd choose the epidural !!!!!!!

It's all a matter of ethics , and culture I would say .

Now in France, we re making real efforts for people not to have a chance to be in pain in hospital , for instance, after a C section, some women are ok, personnally I was in real pain for a couple of days. Today, I'd be on a morphine drip, which would help welcome my baby , starting a bond with him, instead of concentrating on overcoming the pain.

Maybe it s a very French way to see things, I don't know.

Edited : Nevertheless, they try to do local anesthesia when possible, no pain, and easier after op.

I had an op on my leg under rachianesthésie , no pain at all,obviously,  and perfectly aware of what was going on in the op theatre.

[quote user="Théière"]

Someone I know who had no anathesthic at all for a sigmoidoscopy that went further was uncomfortable but not a lot of pain.

Someone I know also had a whole colon investigation (colonoscopy) with only a mild sedative, again uncomfortable but not a lot of pain.

[/quote]

Going off at a slight tangent, there is the highly questionable "therapy" of colonic irregation - a sort of deep level enema. This may be carried out with no clinical supervision at all.

With no anaesthetic this must be extremely uncomfortable!

If you go water ski-ing in bermuda shorts you get the same treatment........unsupervised.........unexpected.........unwanted.

Colonic irrigation is a gentle procedure although NOT advised by doctors before colonoscopy as apparently the water softens the bowel and may be more dangerous for the doctor as the risk of perforation is increased

Talking of colonic irrigation has reminded me that the worst thing for me has been the effects of the jollop you have to drink the night before and in the morning of the procedure, talk about pooing for England!...................JR

PS Sorry too much information now! I can confirm that having had surgery twice on me lower regions at a Clinic in la Rochelle with just an injection in the spine (rachianesthésie?) and fully awake, that there was no pain.  

[quote user="Théière"]If you go water ski-ing in bermuda shorts you get the same treatment........unsupervised.........unexpected.........unwanted.[/quote]

That brings back memories of an afternoon spent at slide'n'splash. Nobody stood up quickly after the big slide. [:-))]

The risks of a GA increases as you get older, especially if you have other common health conditions such as high blood pressure, therefore unless a GA is essential it is better avoided.

As part of the intraveneous sedation, a patient should be given an amnesiac drug, which would mean that if if they had you hanging from the rafters you would not remember a thing!

As part of the intraveneous sedation, a patient should be given an amnesiac drug, which would mean that if if they had you hanging from the rafters you would not remember a thing!

They did that to me to put my shoulder back - apparently I screamed loud and long, hardly surprising as it later turned out it was broken

[:(][:(]

I still do not remember one thing about it !

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

I can confirm that having had surgery twice on me lower regions at a Clinic in la Rochelle with just an injection in the spine (rachianesthésie?) and fully awake, that there was no pain.  

[/quote]

Exactly JR, same for me .

That is good, isn't it? When it is possible to avoid a GA now, they systematically offer this procedure,( yes, rachianesthésie) no pain, fully awake..

But it does only work for anything below the belt.. Too bad!!

"hat is good, isn't it? When it is possible to avoid a GA now, they

systematically offer this procedure,( yes, rachianesthésie) no pain,

fully awake..

But it does only work for anything below the belt.. Too bad!!"

Except for those of us on AVK treatments, as that increases the risk of a bleed into the spinal cord.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]This thread is degenerating! ...........JR[/quote]

We can't have degeneration at this young age, I can arrange a right hemicolectomy resection, that should fix it but you may find after surgery that you may post more frequently than before. [;-)]

Archived