Complete France Forum

Rehydration remedy

minnie

UNICEF recommend one 5ml teaspoon sugar plus a finger pinch of salt in 250cc water; tap is fine if it's an emergency. Boiled and cooled if there's time. It's best mixed and used, but can be made in larger quantities if a child needs care as well. Always taste to check it isn't saltier than tears.

[quote user="Russethouse"]
 A seasoned traveller I know swears by Coca Cola left to go flat...
[/quote]

Coca Cola contains caffeine which is a diuretic so it increase urine production and sweating so dehydrated you further, I believe [geek]

When I once passed out in a restaurant due to dehydration, the doctor (who just happened to be also eating there) just shoved some sugar and salt from the table into a glass of water and made me drink several glasses until I began to feel a little better.  So in an emergency a mixture of sugar and some salt in ordinary water is quite OK.  Plain water is of course better than nothing, but the sugar / salt mixture works better.

If I have been sweating profusely (as in this weather)  and feel a little light headed, I shake a tiny amount of salt onto my palm, lick it off, and take lots of water.  It does help, especially if you drink a lot of ordinary tap water (as I do) and don't automatically salt food.

I once did a charity bike ride in Australia from Canberra to Sydney in one week, it was quite challenging but if you had followed the training regime quite do-able, unfortunately most of the riders had trained on static bikes in a gymnasium and many could not actually master things like balance, braking and especially gearchanging.

There was a doctor and nurse and they made sure that everyone was drinking lots of fluids avoid dehydration but they hadnt considered what people were drinking, one young girl collapsed one day and had a fit, she was delerious and in a very bad way, the Doctor was on the ball and started questioning her and her pals on what they had been drinking, it turned out she had been drinking nothing but trendy sports rehydration drinks (she was adding the powders to her drinks bottle) but because of the huge amount we were all drinking due to the heat she had effectively overdosed.

Be carefull with the dosage of salts.

On a school ski trip I had organised to a French resort (on Italian border) - we kept telling the kids to drink loads of water/soft drinks, at it was very hot. We did too of course- apart from the 2 male teachers who drank beer. On 3rd day, a couple of kids stated with sickness an diarrhoea, followed by one of the teachers. By the evening all the female teachers (incl moi) and about 30 of the 40 kids were as sick as parrots - guess who was fine, the 6th formers who had also drank beer and the 2 male teachers. I had got quite friendly with one of the ski instructors, and she told me the new water plant had been places too low above the resort and water wasn't being filtrated properly - and they had all been told to keep away from the water. She swore me to secrecy as she knew she would lose her job! At the Hotel, all the soft drinks were made with water in one of those fizz making machine. NOT pleasant. I do wonder if the resort has solved the problem? (Montgenèvre). We got the Hotel to buy in bottled water for us, and all finished the week on skis and having a great time.

[quote user="Théière"]

[/quote]

Coca Cola contains caffeine which is a diuretic so it increase urine production and sweating so dehydrated you further, I believe [geek]

[/quote]

I can only tell you it works for him and he has to visit some VERY hot countries and sometimes not too clean places in the course of his work - plus Coca Cola have very high standards regarding the water used in their drinks.

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Théière"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can only tell you it works for him and he has to visit some VERY hot countries and sometimes not too clean places in the course of his work - plus Coca Cola have very high standards regarding the water used in their drinks.
[/quote]

Especially their mineral water [Www]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/apr/18/foodanddrink

Peckham spring anyone [:D]

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Théière"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Doctors have told me and various members of my family over the years that if someone has a very upset stomach, a glass of flat Coca-Cola (full-fat variety) is good for rehydration but that it should be as well as water, not instead of.

[quote user="andyh4"]Except that I don't think it was ever sold as a mineral water[/quote]

Mineral, spring, tap it's all the same to Coca cola and it was a con of the highest magnitude.

And Coca cola is shipped as concentrate round the world and mixed with Sidcup water before being bottled or canned complete with its high bromate levels and ozone, yummy [+o(]

My OH was taken ill a few years ago in the Alps; the first we knew about it was when I heard a terrible thump from the toilet compartment of the caravan. Luckily, being an old Cheltenham caravan it had a second door to the outside world from the toilet. When I couldn't get an answer from him, I opened the second door and found him sprawled unconscious, with his eyes turned up. Everyone around came to help, and thought he'd had a fit/heart attack etc. The doctor was summoned - a 20 minute drive up tortuous roads.

He said it was a bug going round; people were arriving in the area and falling ill. OH and the elderly mother of the campsite owners were the worst hit in the area. Our friends the owners (we'd worked there the previous summer ) moved us into a room in their apartment, complete with ensuite - marvellous! (plus we were out of the 30+ temperatures)  

OH was prescribed 8 drugs, all to be taken at various intervals, some before food, some after etc; I had to make a timetable to be sure of giving them at the right times. The doctor also recommended a good intake of flat coca cola. All the French/Belgians/Dutch on site said - 'but of course'; all the English said 'oh my god, what's that about?!' (or words to that effect!) It seemed odd, but medically advised. It took a fortnight for OH to recover, and we had to miss out our trip to Switzerland. He lost a huge amount of weight and was left very weak.

I understand the formula of coca cola might have been changed and is no longer as effective. However, it's still something we occasionally take if we have such problems.

Flat Coca Cola as stated, is considered effective but only the proper stuff and not one of the fangled diet variations.

It's been stated elsewhere that a sugar mix with a pinch of salt also is a good DIY remedy. From the remedy book of a Medical Officer well accustomed to the desert environment, was advised fruit juice preferably apple or grape, but not pineapple, to which is added extra sugar or if available - honey. Add salt, but not sufficient to make the taste salty, if this happens add more sugar. If bananas available, mix a banana into a glass of the juice drink.

If using sports drinks, dilute 100% with water.

Don't let thirst guide you. When you feel thirsty, you're already 10% dehydrated.

Urine is an excellent indicator. If it's yellow - you need fluids. If it's clear - you're hydrated.

In the light of all the brainwashing achieved by Coca cola and believed by people on the forum some facts:

Some Facts

Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? It’s because it gets you high. They took the
cocaine out almost a hundred years ago. You know why? It was redundant.

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.)
You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor
allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning
any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a
response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain
are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain.
This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing
a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also
increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now
assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well
as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become
irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke.
But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having
the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you’re a smoker.)
But, hey, have another Coke, it’ll make you feel better.

Technorati Tags: coke, effects, pharmacology, soda, caffeine, sugar

*FYI: The Coke itself is not the enemy, here. It’s the dynamic combo of massive sugar doses combined with
caffeine and phosphoric acid. Things which are found in almost all soda.
Courtesy: http://www.healthbolt.net/2006/12/08/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/

The phosphoric acid present in soft drink competes with the hydrochloric acid of the stomach
and affects its functions. When the stomach becomes ineffective, food remains undigested
causing indigestion, gassiness or bloating.

Kidneys are less able to excrete phosphoric acid when it is in excess. Thus, there is extra work
for the kidneys.

Soft drinks remove Calcium from the body, causing an excess amount of Calcium that tends to be
deposited in the kidney, resulting in kidney stones.

Drinking too much soda (approximately five cans a day according to a USDA research study) has
been shown to upset the body's calcium/phosphorus ratio. Under these circumstances, the body
attempts to maintain balance by drawing calcium from bone. Over time, bones can become fragile
and more susceptible to fractures.

Acidic blood affects the action of glutathione, which is an antioxidant enzyme.

Phosphoric acid, present in carbonated drinks de-oxidizes blood. In detergent manufacturing
industries, phosphoric acid is used to produce water softener. Water softener removes Ca²+ and Mg²+
ion from hard water. In human body, the function remains the same by removing Ca²+ from bones causing
osteoporosis.

And from the National Library of Medicine, one study found that the consumption of soft drinks
with phosphoric acid should be considered as an independent risk factor for hypocalcemia in postmenopausal women. And this from the same source: After analyzing published papers about soft drinks use, and to describe possible health benefits, risks, and damages related to soft drink consumption . . .

Ninety nine papers reporting health-related damages or benefits in clinical or experimental studies
were reviewed. . . .There were reports on 25 harmful effects and of 7 possibly beneficial effects.Data are classified in prophylactic and therapeutic uses, dental caries and other dental disorders,mineral metabolism disorders, acid-peptic disease, neoplasm, risk factors for cardiovascular disease,
effects on central nervous system, reproduction, allergy, and miscellaneous.

CONCLUSIONS: High prevalence of exposure and excessive consumption of soft drinks may represent
a public health problem. Data analysis shows that soft drink consumption may not be as harmless
as generally believed
courtesy: http://www.inspiredliving.com/health/a~coke.htm

Contradictions Welcomed!

Archived