Complete France Forum

Cholesterol levels

minnie

Is there a difference between French & English measurement of cholesterol levels? During my recent bilan de sante my level was just over 4 and the Doc has prescribed statins. When in UK, and many years ago, my reading of just over 4 was normal!! My French neighbours reckon my reading should be no more than 2. Can anyone out there explain the differences to me please?

There are different levels recommended for different people according to other risk factors, such a previous history of stroke or heart disease

There are also different ways of measuring, so you need to know which is being used:

This site shows both American and European ways of measuring: g/Litre or mmol/l

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-levels/CL00001

Mine was recently 5,28 mmol/l which can also be expressed as 2,05 g/l, so I am just over the magic 2

Which cholesterol level, there are two HDL & LDL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol

And eating plant based and expensive so called products to reduce cholesterol may just be making it worse!

As vegetable derived cholesterol is foreign to animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atherosclerosis

Statins, don't we have to question when so bigger percentage of the population "require" Statins

There are better alternatives with less side effects but they won't earn the drugs companies billions as the stuff is already out there and has been for years, good news is it's a thickener for desert products like cheescake [:)] so taking your medicine will be a whole lot of fun!

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1739.htm

Don't get me started on Transfats (hydrogenated vegetable fats) Nestlé we know where you live! [:@][6]

minnie, the measurements are the same, it is just that they have reduced the level at which statins are now prescribed for older people due to the results of ongoing clinical studies. If I recall correctly they use to wait until you had a reading of around 5, whereas 4 is now seems the need for treatment marker, where other risk factors are taken into account such as age.

I think your neighbours were talking about LDL cholesterol which is recommended should be 2 to 3, not total cholesterol which should be under 4. I imagine like me you will only need a minimum dose of 10mg a day.

Diet and certain foods can help but only to a limited extent as you get older, because cholesterol increases with age. As for side effects I have none and neither have the other people I know who take them at the lower doses prescribed to most patients.

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Using Norman's suggested formula the level does appear a little high. Before starting on the statins (already prescribed) I'm making every effort to lose the weight and eat the correct stuff before I have my next test (in roughly another month). If it works all the better - if it doesn't, I'll have a telling off from the Doc and I'' just take the statins. He said I need to lose 9kg to get to my ideal weight. Within the last 6 weeks I've lost 3 of these kgs and continuing

[quote user="minnie"]Thanks everyone for your contributions. Using Norman's suggested formula the level does appear a little high. Before starting on the statins (already prescribed) I'm making every effort to lose the weight and eat the correct stuff before I have my next test (in roughly another month). If it works all the better - if it doesn't, I'll have a telling off from the Doc and I'' just take the statins. He said I need to lose 9kg to get to my ideal weight. Within the last 6 weeks I've lost 3 of these kgs and continuing[/quote]

Reducing your sugar intake is one that will have a dramatic effect on both weight and cholesterol levels, weight par se is a misnomer as muscle, good lean stuff weighs 5 times what fat does thus a very fit athlete could be classed as obese! the fat ratio is more relevant.

The NHS still gives out the same diet sheet they did years ago claiming eggs as bad for you etc and you can't eat jam but marmalade is ok, what utter rot.

Is it really 5 times as much?

Its definitely true though, I was shocked to learn how much one of the muscled trainers who helped me last year weighed.

I lost a lot pretty fast up till September last year, since then I have only lost about one pound but have got much fitter and built up a lot of muscle, all the new clothes I bought back then to replace my old ones are now hanging off me, my friends and family are worried and say that I must not lose any more weight (chance would be a fine thing) yet according to the BMI tables I am at the top of the healthy range, close to obese and could lose another 10kg.

10kgs is a lot to lose if you are building up muscle. So you are probably the right weight now. I think that your waist size should be a good indicator. A slender friend of ours who has remained fit throughout his life and I must add, his weight has never changed still takes a 30" waist, he's about 5'11" tall. So height and framesize, plus that waist line will have a lot to do with it.

Archived