Complete France Forum

What do you watch?

I'm not a big telly box watcher but want to start watching more French TV, to improve language. I occasionally have a flick and watch some stuff when i remember to.

So for a bit more discipline, thought i should get into watching a regular programme or two.

Just wondered what you all like watching on French TV?

And does anyone else find it unbearable to watch anything dubbed into French? [:D]

[quote user="Meg "]Just wondered what you all like watching on French TV?[/quote]

Rex. 

Rex helps the police with their enquiries, frequently solving complex cases for his dopey masters. He's the doggy version of Skippy the Bush Kangeroo, or Champion the Wonderhorse.

There are a couple of other things (more serious things) but that's my favourite programme at the moment. [:)] It starts sometime around 5.30, but I can't remember which channel. It's probably 3.

We tend to watch the meteo on both FR1 and FR2 in the evenings, mainly because I'm interested in the weather.

In the mornings we often watch the early news programme on FR2 which is streets ahead of the equivalent BBC breakfast rubbish (both in terms of content and presentation!).  Unfortunately I can't yet understand a lot of it, but it's a good way of trying to pick up aspects of the language.  Most other French stuff leaves us cold and we don't bother with it.  Not that there's an awful lot of watchable stuff on Sky, either...

My favorite channels are Arte/TV5, AB1, AB moteurs, France *(symbol like the Austin Powers medallion!) and Liberty TV.

I have an abbonnement with Free.fr so have access to many channels and no longer recieve any UK tv.

I love the many nature and travel documentaries "Les racines et les ailes" "Forchette et sac à dos" "Thalassa" etc.

I make full use of subtitles to help my French but often what is said does not correpond to what is written or they can be a significant delay, I understand this as they are intended for the deaf or hard of hearing.

One trick I have found is that if I can view a film in VO (version original) with the English soundtrack and crucially also with French sub-titles I learn far more French vocabulary whilst fully understanding all the nuances of the film withou getting brainache!

What does frustrate me is that all the principle channels have exactly the same mix of game shows, regional and national news, albeit with the times mixed so that you can often see the same article at different times on 3 channels, this continues on all the channels until the magical time of 20.40 when they start to show their individual programes.

You only have to glance at a TV guide to see how evident this is, there has to be a reason for it perhaps governmental restrictions?

Giving up UK Tv was by far the hardest but most rewarding thing that I have done to date.

I've found that watching quizzes is quite helpful . If I'm in, I normally try to catch 'Questions pour un Champion' on FR3 with the sub-titles on. Gives you a bit of encouragement as well when you can answer a question that the contestant has got wrong. If you can't get FR3, I think it's also repeated on TV5.

Tim

[quote user="Meg "]I'm not a big telly box watcher but want to start watching more French TV, to improve language. I occasionally have a flick and watch some stuff when i remember to.

So for a bit more discipline, thought i should get into watching a regular programme or two.

Just wondered what you all like watching on French TV?

And does anyone else find it unbearable to watch anything dubbed into French? [:D]

[/quote]

This recent thread has good pointers:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1008524/ShowPost.aspx

At the moment, Star Academy is on, sometimes at 8.50pm on Saturday nights, sometimes on Friday nights.  It's a talent show which is a cross between Big Brother, the X Factor and Top of the Pops.  It's easy to understand as most of it is music (and sometimes in English).  It also has the latest pop stars on e.g. James Blunt this weekend.

It's on weekday evenings as well but these slots are more difficult to understand as it shows the aspiring stars practising - that is harder to follow.

[I did watch Miss France last Saturday and more-or-less understood it.  "Why do you want to be Miss France?" "To travel and see the world" etc etc.  The same answers in whichever language you speak.]

Archived