Complete France Forum

Successful Day!

Well, tired but really chuffed is how I'm feeling tonight! The fundraising day at Riberac turned out to be really great and we raised an amazing 261.30€. So, including a 100€ donation already received, 361.30€ will be winding it's way to L'Europe des Levriers.

A big thank you goes to Jackie for her donation of jams and baking and also for preparing the info folder, her friend for her baking donation and dog coats, Clare for her baking donation, flyers and helping on the stall, my daughter for her baking donation and help on the stall, Nico for his help with setting up the Tombola, Amanda 61 for her donation and all who kindly donated items for the Tombola, which included items generously donated from some of the local small businesses in Riberac.

If anyone else would like to make a donation, please do pm me, as there is still time to give the total a boost.

Here are some of the photos taken today. Unfortunately, they are a little dark but, hopefully, you will be able to see our efforts!

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/Anna-dordogne/Riberac-3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/Anna-dordogne/Riberac-6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/Anna-dordogne/Riberac-8.jpg[/IMG]

This little fellow just appeared and seemed to be asking if there was a coat to fit him!

[IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/Anna-dordogne/Riberac-9.jpg[/IMG]

This handsome Greyhound and his French owner stopped to have a look so I couldn't resist asking them to pose for a photo!

Thanks Christine. Yes, you are so right, once the hard work of preparation was done, it was really nice to be able to relax a little and chat to people and it was amazing how many people were interested. A lot of French people were aware of the plight of the Spanish Galgos. Some said they had seen a programme about it on the TV. Quite a few Brits stopped by too (and snapped up the jars of Lemon Curd as they said they couldn't buy that in France!). The French all seemed a little bemused by the home baking as I don't think they had really seen that for sale before and were intrigued by what some of it was, like the Scottish tablet, Lemon Curd, Top Hats (chocolate with marshmallows in), etc.!

We also put a donation tub on our table and I was amazed to find that we had collected 32€ in that alone! I was also amazed at how well our little Tombola did. At 1€ a shot, it took in a substantial amount of our proceeds. A couple of winners even re-donated their prizes! Also, we had brought along some sweets to hand out to children, which went down well with the parents! People were very generous, especially when they found out what it was all in aid of and we explained that all the proceeds (after the 10% was deducted for the Croix Rouge....also a good cause, of course) was going to help the dogs.

Also, I think we did help to raise awareness of the plight of these dogs and a number of people were asking questions and took away details.

The Croix Rouge lady in charge told us that there is to be another event in November and that she has pencilled us in to take a table then! Funnily enough, none of us said "No"! I'm not going to mention that to my OH yet though!!

I have helped at numerous abandoned dog charity events before in Scotland. For example, I helped Pads (Perthshire Abandoned Dog Society) when they took over an empty shop for a week, which they got rent and rates free, and had a huge amount of donated stuff for sale. The proceeds from that, along with their annual charity street collection day, was their main income for the year to run their kennels.  However, this was the first time in France and the first time I had organised one so I was very pleased and a little relieved, that it went well.

Thanks everyone.

Just sold the remaining few items of home baking at our darts match tonight and raised a further 10€ (think if I'ld had more it would have sold!) so final total is now 371€30. Someone tonight suggested holding an auction to raise funds. Sounded like it could be fun! Anyone had experience of doing that?

[quote user="Anna"]

Thanks everyone.

Just sold the remaining few items of home baking at our darts match tonight and raised a further 10€ (think if I'ld had more it would have sold!) so final total is now 371€30. Someone tonight suggested holding an auction to raise funds. Sounded like it could be fun! Anyone had experience of doing that?

[/quote]

Hi Anna

I haven't had any experience in auctions but if you decide to do one, i'd be happy to offer 2 nights B&B in our lovely abode as a prize

Jaq

Oh Jackie, you are so persuasive!!!! That would be a great auction item!

Does anyone know if we would need to get any official sanctions to hold a charity auction? Anyone been to such an event? If so, any tips on how it would work? I think I may know a possible venue and a person who might be persuaded to be the auctioneer! Could we charge an entry fee? If so, perhaps it could include a light buffet supper/lunch (depending on time of day).

Any comments would be appreciated!

Anna

Hi Mary

Yes, it is Anya.....now 17 would you believe? Time certainly flies by!

Hope all is well with you.....remember to give me your new address and phone number.....for our next 3/4 yearly visit!!

Anna

Congratulations Anna. So pleased you had a wonderful day especially as you were a wee bit nervous beforehand..... Hopefully you will have brought to the fore this terrible animal cruelty and at least make people think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done to you ALL.

Thanks, yes, I was a wee bit nervous about it! However, just posted off a cheque, made up to 400€ (just sounds so much better rounded up!) so feeling now that it was well worth the effort, especially with such good support from people like yourself.  It's really amazing what a little effort can achieve and leaves us with such a great feeling of being able to do something to make a difference in some way. Also, I received a lovely e-mail from a French lady from the Association L'Europe des Levriers, thanking us all for our efforts.

Thinking ahead now to possibly holding a charity auction so, if anyone knows anything about that sort of event or has even just attended one, please do get in touch so I can pick your brains!  Not expecting you to have to get involved.......just want to find out more about how it works! And, we have already been offered our first auction item from Magnolia!

Archived