Complete France Forum

Repaired UK cars ,cat "D" etc

krusty

Is there any problem bringing an insurance write off into France ?

• A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).
    Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

• B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.
    Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

• C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.
    Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

• D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.
    Recorded with HPI.

• X - Repairable salvage. Not recorded on any registers such as HPI. Limited or very light damage, or vehicle is new or less than 12 months old. Usually requires minimal repair work.

No problem bringing over but are you asking about registration?

If it is registered in your name no problem, I am assuming that you will do the repairs before submitting it for CT [;-)]

If it is not then with a receipt to show that you have bought the vehicle, the tear off part of the V5 or better still the V5 or a photocopy you should be able to register it although a sales receipt that doesnt show the vehicle category/notice of destruction might be advisable if you get my drift [;-)]

I keep looking longingly at the damaged repairables in a yard that I pass on the way to Brico-depot, i am not sure what the system is in France but bringing one over would circumvent it if there is one.

Chancer wrote:

"I keep looking longingly at the damaged repairables in a yard that I pass on the way to Brico-depot, i am not sure what the system is in France but bringing one over would circumvent it if there is one."

Several years ago we bought a damaged car from our local salvage yard, and buying the parts needed to repair it as part of the deal; they held the CG which they passed to us when we bought the car. Once my husband had repaired it we got it CT'd then took the CG to the Prefecture for re-registering in our name (we also had to change the department number as it happened). There were no problems with any of it.

That is interesting Rob Roy, so no inspections etc in France then?

Were you able to buy salvage that required extensive repairs, i.e. uneconomic repair write offs?

All my vehicles since 1990 up until my present car were salvage that I repaired, a cut-n-shut using donor vehicles from both sides of the channel could be an interesting exercise to get a late low mileage LHD car.

Chancer - as I said we only had to get the CT before re-registering.

The repair was not as extensive as many we have had in the past in the UK! (Husband is a panel beater)  It was front end damage and from what I can remember there was a new wing, front panel, bonnet etc. It was only a Metro and was just for a 'run around' for me although I was not impressed with having come all the way to live in France and be bought an English car, particularly that one as I never liked Metros anyway!

Straightforward procedure for accident damaged vehicles in France.

If the damage is slight and the vehicle is not classed as unroadworthy, then it will still have its carte grise and you can repair it yourself if necessary.

If the damage is serious and the vehicle is classed as unroadworthy then its carte grise will have been withdrawn.  The vehicle will have been inspected by an approved expert and a report detailing the damage and estimate for repair will be provided.  The repairs must be carried out by an approved commercial repairer and a second expert inspection report confirming the repairs must be obtained before the carte grise can be returned. 

Assuming of course that these vehicles have had the involvement of depanneurs, Gendarmes and/or assureurs these restrictive but sensible measures will have been put into place.

But when an excess of alcohol has played its part, if the vehicle can be driven away from the scene of the crime (even with a few wheels missing) and a sober judgement made the next day these accidents often go unreported, not forgetting the many vehicles with tiers assurance.

All in all a sensible, straightforward and pragmatic system compared to the UK's.

Archived