Complete France Forum

Weighbridges in France

stan

Three of the villages around us had them in the centre of the village. Was this peculiar to just our area.

Maybe ask at the Mairie. I think that they are called a pont-basule(r), something like that.

EDIT thanks Coops pont-bascule.

Thanks to all. It is more or less for my own piece of mind. I have a braked trailer that has a laden weight maximum of 1350kg. The trailer itself weighs 310kg. The trailer does not have a carte grise as I cannot get a certificate of conformity for it due to it being basically a home made effort, although very sturdy and looks like a legal French trailer!

I plan to take the trailer back to the UK when I sell my house and put the same registration plate on the rear as my French registered car. I plan to take my ride on mower back. This would result in a total trailer weight of just less than 500kg, so it would be good to have some sort of certification from a weighbridge of this total weight in case I get stopped en route during my final exit out of France. I know this is partly illegal, given that the trailer should have a carte grise but I will take the chance.

In that case, Stan, then just look for a "prairie skyscraper" in your locale and ask them - they are bound to have one to weigh all the grain deliveries.  I paid mine 5€ but clearly it can be done a lot more cheaply than that!  I bet your mairie would know where your nearest one is.[:)]

EDIT : I simultaneously posted with JJ but we did reach the same conclusion.

Thanks for that Cooperlola, I had never thought of that and there are loads around here.

Until now I had thought that the only one was at the scrapyard who are now ridiculously busy thanks to all the identity documents they now have to photocopy from the gitanes, that and the fact that they have to declare any scrap bought over a relatively low figure to les impôts means that now when they weigh stuff in they split it amongst 5 members of their family, the paperwork for one (gitane) customer now takes nearly an hour so they are not best pleased to see me arrive wanting to use the weighbridge.

Archived