Complete France Forum

regs for wc : downstairs cloakroom

Yvonne

Does anyone know if there are regulations for installing a small downstairs wc.  We own a cdh, and our living space is on the third floor , all the guest rooms are en suite,  so they wont be using this wc, its just for emergency private use!

I just want to know if we have to have an extraction fan and also two seperate doorways for the toilet, ie: some wc's have a tiolet then a doorway to a seperate hand basin.

Thanks

Abi

We have a downstairs loo all on its own with no WHB and no space for one. I really would like to move the loo to the shower room adjacent where there is space for it and there is an existing WHB - can we do that? Or are we going to fall foul [imaginative choice of word there] of any building regs/plumbing directive? It is not the only loo we have as we have a bathroom upstairs which already has a loo in it.

Sue

Brilliant - thanks BN. That is music to my ears.

It's not only the lack of a washbasin in the present set-up that bugs me, it's also that I could use the space where the loo is now to make a superb walk-in cupboard and as we have a total lack of built in cupboards in this house that would nearly be a dream come true.

Sue [:D]

Regs state that all new builds and renovations must have a seperate wc, Bathrooms and toilets cannot open directly into a kitchen or food prep area and must be mechanicaly ventilated. This info was given to us by Batiment de France (Limoges) in a 3 hour meeting regarding regulations for various projects we are working on

Hope this info is of help

[quote user="wilks"]

Regs state that all new builds and renovations must have a seperate wc, Bathrooms and toilets cannot open directly into a kitchen or food prep area and must be mechanicaly ventilated. This info was given to us by Batiment de France (Limoges) in a 3 hour meeting regarding regulations for various projects we are working on

Hope this info is of help

[/quote]

Ours has a lobby area complete with doors between the kitchen and the now combined  W.C. / shower room complete with WHB and there's a new VMC, so no problem. Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

I think the original poster wanted to know whether the W.C. and WHB could be in the same room / compartment, don't know where this is in relation to their kitchen area.

"Regs state that all new builds and renovations must have a seperate wc" - Does this mean that the shower in Blanche Neige's example should be in a separate room? I'm just about to install a shower, WHB and WC and want to be sure that the shower doesn't have to be separate. I probably have the space but only have one window and don't personally like rooms without a window.

I'm also not sure whether to go for a full VMC or just an extractor. I don't think I'm really clear as to the advantages of a VMC and while I can see that one extraction unit for Kitchen and all bathrooms and WC's might be useful they do seem to be a lot more expensive than separate extractors.

[quote user="Alane"]

"Regs state that all new builds and renovations must have a seperate wc" - Does this mean that the shower in Blanche Neige's example should be in a separate room? I'm just about to install a shower, WHB and WC and want to be sure that the shower doesn't have to be separate. I probably have the space but only have one window and don't personally like rooms without a window.

I'm also not sure whether to go for a full VMC or just an extractor. I don't think I'm really clear as to the advantages of a VMC and while I can see that one extraction unit for Kitchen and all bathrooms and WC's might be useful they do seem to be a lot more expensive than separate extractors.

[/quote]

Our shower and WHB were separate but now all three items i.e. W.C / WHB / shower are in the same room.

Having not had a VMC before I would strongly recommend having one but then we have no window in the downstairs shower room. We have another shower room  / WC etc. upstairs so no problem with queuing for the loo [8-|].

All our work was done by local registered Fr. artisans all of whom are well aware of the rules and regs..

Archived