Complete France Forum

Enamel house numbers..

joidevie

And there was a 'French Shop' in Kensington Gardens in Brighton, that sold all sorts of things like enamel plaques. No idea if it's still there.

There is another maker of enamel things, based in Normandy, near Caen, which often visits French markets in the south of England. They have a web site here. (Hope it works, the link is too long to post on the forum without incurring the wrath of the actual and would-be moderators [;-)] ) 

[quote user="Will"]

And there was a 'French Shop' in Kensington Gardens in Brighton, that sold all sorts of things like enamel plaques. No idea if it's still there.

There is another maker of enamel things, based in Normandy, near Caen, which often visits French markets in the south of England. They have a web site here. (Hope it works, the link is too long to post on the forum without incurring the wrath of the actual and would-be moderators [;-)] ) 

[/quote]

Will,

when you have a moment, could you show how to do one of those reduced links please?  I don't often have the need to post links (being rather more of a user than a supplier of info) but it would be good to know how.

p

Simple HTML code, GP.

The actual web address is (I've split it up for the same reasons as Will's OP):

http://emaillerie.42stores.com/store/Qui-sommes-nous-emailleur-enameller

-plaque-emaille-enamelled-sign-emailschild

-emaillerie-thury-harcourt-caen-normandie

By placing this into the HTML brackets (Opening < Closing >) and prefacing it by the command "A href="; then by placing the whole web address in paranthisis since this is the target, an HTML command has been given.

You will notice that at the end of the whole statement, after the HTML command has been closed (i.e. by >), the word "Here" appears.

HTML recognises the syntax as "typing" this word on the screen.

Finally, the line is closed by </A>, which HTML needs to finish this command line and search for the next.

What Will did was in fact to create a Hyperlink. In Word etc e.g., hyperlinks are created behind the scenes in precisely the same manner: it's just that the "Create Hyperlink" command, is a macro and thus hidden.

You can examine most HTML and XTML coding for any webpage simply by going to the top toolbar on IE click on "View" and down drops a menu choice: if you click on "Source" the coding should be revealed in a Notepad type screen.

The whole line is below:

<A href="http://emaillerie.42stores.com/store/Qui-sommes-

nous-emailleur-enameller-plaque-emaille-enamelled-sign-emailschild-emaillerie-thury-harcourt-caen-normandie">here</A>

Gluestick's way is probably the best, but I used another method which I have found can be a bit hit-and-miss, hence my comment.

When you have the page open that you want to link to, highlight the full address in the address bar and press Ctrl and C together which will copy the link into the clipboard of your PC (I assume you are using a PC, not a Mac.)

When you type your post, and get to the word 'here' or whatever word or words you want to represent the link, highlight that word. Then click on the hyperlnk icon on the message toolbar (the one immediately above the message box, where you have other options to select the font, size, bold, italics etc). The hyperlink icon looks like a globe with a couple of chain links under it.

This brings up a box, in the URL section delete any text that is in there, and press Ctrl and V together, which will paste the web address you want to link to in the box. Click 'OK' - and that should be it.

It's a bit of a long explanation for a simple thing, so sorry if I have pitched it at too low a level.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Back to the OP. Do you want a commercial quantity or just one for a house in France? If the latter, then go to your mairie and ask for one -- I'm pretty sure that they have to supply one per home.

When I wanted one for our UK house I did the same thing, because my Granny-in-law was an old friend of the maire.

[/quote]

Thanks - I did ask them and they had a rummage around in a box - and found a number 1 with "bis" scribbled in felt tip after the number. I declined the offer! I think I may well go with the company I mentioned in my original post.. Seems the "bis" bit is the more difficult part..

Thanks all

Archived