Complete France Forum

"Non" noisy extractor fan!

Chancer

I have a hygrostatic switching 2 speed unit in a converted outbuilding in the UK to reduce dampness and humidity when it is not in use, the last time I was there I thought it had failed as I could not hear the normally quiet but still audible first speed.

I did a test with some tissue paper over the inlet and it was indeed sucking, when switched manually to the second speed it seemed to be as loud and performed as normal. My neighbour has verified that the motor is turning and not overheating, when my one here in France finally switches back to the slow (lower humidity) setting, maybe next summer[8-)] I can try to measure the flow in some manner to compare, but in the meantime............

Has anyone experienced a VMC unit becoming much quieter or perhaps slower?

Or any other ideas?

I thought of a birds nest or a dead squirrel blocking the exit as I recently found an exit pipe blocked for over a metre length in a loft but the properety had been empty for 14 years since built and the electricity never connected, my one has been running all the time but is there sufficient exit airflow to dissuade uninvited guests? It has a chapeau over the vertical exit pipe.

Yes, JR, I have.

It's a wall mounted simple extractor fan in the kitchen. fitted during the refurb to extract fumes etc from deep fat fryer, toaster, etc.

It starts at full - noisy - speed and after a few minutes simply goes slow for no apparent reason.

One of those jobs on the current To Do list.......................................

Obviously, an electrical fault, somewhere, but as it's not very old??

Nice thought and would be applicable to a fractiuonal horsepower motor driving a heavy load but from memory my fan takes 11 watts on the slow speed and from the sound of it about one watt at the moment[:)]

I am still waiting for the one here in France to switch back to the first speed, the weather has not been on my side!

Try bypassing the humidity detector and see if your fan then immediately goes to full speed.

Mine, a simple synchronous motor, runs at full speed for a few minutes and then constantly defaults to a very low speed.

It has no associated control gear other than a simple two pole on/off switch.

Hmmm..............

Archived