Complete France Forum

House lighting

woolybanana

Does anyone have those lights set in the ceiling, either direct mains or low voltage ones? Height restrictions in my reshaped hall suggest these are ideal as they do not ontrude. But, a mate says they are rubbish, always breaking down, bulbs don't last etc. Any thoughts and feedback would be welcome svp.

You can get mains or low voltage recessed downlighters..bulbs tend to last about 3 or 4 years in either in my house in the UK..

If I was to do the job again I would look at recessed downlighters with LED lamps which should last longer than incandescent lamps.

When these were first around, Woolyb, I agree they were total cr*p with the halogen lamps expensive and unreliable.  However, I'm told they are now far better but  have no first hand experience to impart, sorry.  As Mac says, LEDs should keep costs down also.  Keep me posted if you go this route, old fruit, as I have a couple of places where they would be great, if any good.

We have put mains ones in the high ceilings in both upstairs bedrooms, on the sloping ceilings on the stairs and in the bathroom.  They are all mains voltage and have had no problems with them.  They have all been fitted with fire hoods, either integral or supplementary and the bathroom ones are rated for zone 2.  They came with a strange small rubber appliance that we were a bit baffled by at first[8-)], then discovered its for putting the [I][I][I] into the fittings[I]!

We have 12volt halogens in our loft, have been going strong on dimmers for 8 years now, not used all the time but still going.  You watch, now they will go pop.  We have the capless type bulbs in the Kitchen display cupboards and they are rubbish, gone through 4 bulbs in a year, we only have 4 in total.

I agree the new LEDS are miles better than they were and last for ages. However, many people use downlighters with a dimmer. LEDS will not, as far as I am aware work with dimmers (i.e. they are either on or off) and this is why many people don't swap/ For places like a kitchen though, where maybe dimmers are less useful, LEDS have a role. Against halogens is the heat that they produce. I've had lots of smoke and near fires with them and had to reduce wattage.

Darnsarf, with completely new fittings and wiring etc, could you get around this problem by having two seperate sets of lights on different switches? - yes you'd only have the choice of half or full lighting but maybe this could work?  I'm no electrician it's just that I will hopefully be using similar lighting and wanted to toss a few ideas around!

Hi darnsarf

Are you saying the LEDs produce heat? I couldn't follow your last couple of sentences.

We will be faced with a change of lighting and I was wondering about LEDs for the kitchen. The G10 halogens currently in use here are very good and have lasted over 5 years, but the bulbs will eventually be phased out. Do you need twice (or three times) as many LED's to replace one G10 50W? The light output aspect of these economy type lamps has always been a stumbling block, but a change is inevitable. 

Sid

LEDs produce virtually no heat. Halogens tend to produce lots of it!

I have two switches in my kitchen to produce a 'half light effect' i.e. half the lights on, half not, or all on or all off! it works fine for a kitchen and may be OK elsewhere but it's not really the same as dimming. That said, I have seen what they call dimmable LEDS bulbs recently though I suspect they achieve this by switching off some of the diodes (I may be wrong).

The choice of LED is really important. Firstly, to avoid the blueish light, called 'cool white' (which is for me near impossible to read from) you need warm white but even some of these vary enormously. It depends on the number of diodes each bulb has (and some have ridiculously few). I bought mine from ultraleds.co.uk (no association). The more diodes, generally, the higher the cost. You can buy GU10 versions from about £3 but up to £20 each for some. Ideally, it's best to see some before buying the whole array. The equivilence to halogen/incandescent wattage is usually shown but the LED will normally be about 5W.

Hope this helps and sorry if I confused anyone!

[quote user="darnsarf"]I agree the new LEDS are miles better than they were and last for ages. However, many people use downlighters with a dimmer. LEDS will not, as far as I am aware work with dimmers (i.e. they are either on or off) and this is why many people don't swap/ For places like a kitchen though, where maybe dimmers are less useful, LEDS have a role. Against halogens is the heat that they produce. I've had lots of smoke and near fires with them and had to reduce wattage.[/quote]

LEDS use low-frequency dimmers, the supply is DC so if it is switched on and off there is less energy/less light; of course at a frequency that the eye will not notice. The french use experimental LED dimming for street lighting at night, etc,etc. CSTB are currently doing a research project on the Metro.

Here's a link to a suppliers of dimmable LED GU10s. http://www.ablectrics.com/product-3819-7Watt-LED-GU10-Equiv-to-50-Watts,-fully-Dimmable.-40,000-hours-warm-white.html

There seem to be quite a few of these coming onto the market now. Fairly expensive at the moment and the dimmer itself needs to be of high quality.

[quote user="darnsarf"]Here's a link to a suppliers of dimmable LED GU10s. http://www.ablectrics.com/product-3819-7Watt-LED-GU10-Equiv-to-50-Watts,-fully-Dimmable.-40,000-hours-warm-white.html There seem to be quite a few of these coming onto the market now. Fairly expensive at the moment and the dimmer itself needs to be of high quality.[/quote]

Traditional  SCR dimmers are in fact available for GU10 LEDs.

Archived