Complete France Forum

Thicker paint for ceiling

Gardener

The kitchen ceiling has previously been painted several times with a gloss paint and it has flaked in places. Painting over with a ordinary paint will not cover the imperfections. I don't want to use an artex type product or do anything drastic like plastering, any suggestions for something easyish to apply that will do the trick?

Sandpaper and elbow grease.

If it is gloss paint you should sand anyway to give a good key and you can sand out the imperfections at the same time.  Otherwise it is down to a very thick hole filling  paint - aka Artex.

What ever you do if it's had gloss paint on it, you will have to sand it down. After sanding; fill the imperfections with filler, and then line the ceiling with a linen backed lining paper, modern version is Wallrock 100. Then paint with emulsion paint

[quote user="Gardener"]The kitchen ceiling has previously been painted several times with a gloss paint and it has flaked in places. Painting over with a ordinary paint will not cover the imperfections. I don't want to use an artex type product or do anything drastic like plastering, any suggestions for something easyish to apply that will do the trick?[/quote]

Fill the imperfections with a fine surface filler, lightly sand the surface but I would use eggshell paint in a kitchen because of the humidity and frying fumes as eggshell is very washable. 

No you only need to be careful - "very" is being excessive.

for 70+ years car ran around pushing lead aerosol into the air and we survived.

Suggest that a dust mask is used, children are kept away from the work area and that all dust is vacuumed up (keep the dust mask on if you feel nervous) before the area is used again.  Clothing should be washed or disposable overalls disposed.

I disagree.

Take a look at the British Coatings Federation website for one and look at the recommended precautions for removal of lead paint, particularly the pre 1970's stuff.

I'm not suggesting a 10km exclusion zone, but 'very careful' would seem to be about right.

I don't mind painting, but the prep and things like this, I loathe doing. You are going to have to bite the bullet and get rid of the flaky stuff and make sure you know why it was flaking and that the problem has now gone before investing time in leveling and  rubbing down then painting. I agree eggshell paint, or you could get Dulux oil based mat emulsion in France, http://www.duluxvalentine.com/produit_plafond_direct_mat.html

This is what I used on quite a few of the surfaces in my home, always bought it from Mr Bricolage. I used to colour it to whatever took my fancy. It was sturdy for kitchen and bathrooms and would probably go onto your gloss paint without risk of cracking. Once you have done the prep.

Archived