Complete France Forum

light Roof material for conservatory

osie

Hi All

I have an area 3 * 6 which used to be where pigs were kept.  It is stone walled on 3 of the sides.  I was thinking of cementing the floor and then putting a light weight roof over it.

It would then be a partially opened lounge area with water and wind protection that could hold some furniture.

Would you be able to point me in a direction of a material that is quite nice and functional.

Thanks

Osie

Does the 4th wall face the prevailing wind? This was the problem we had. We planned to put a polycarb canopy with side walls and an open front, onto the back of our house, until I was out there one evening gathering up scattered garden furniture and realised that the wind would just get under it and rip it off. I've now gone for the proper conservatory version with a glass front. So far (only the one gale as yet), all the component parts remain in the same departement.

The poly carb sheets come in 3m or 4m lengths, by 97cms wide, which gives you 1m centre on centre to the middle of the alu glazing bars (which are, I might add, a damned-sight more expensive than the poly sheets and only seem to come in 4m lengths).

Clear, Opal or Bronze.

p

The poly carb sheets look good but I do not think they will fit in with the stone walls... I guess it should look a bit more natural.

I have no idea where our prevailing winds are but there are a few times a year it can get very breezy and will definitely consider that...

I wont go for an expensive conversion as it is just making use of a bit of space and not really something that is going to add lots of value.

I have been looking at neighbours roofs and the trend seems to be wood beams with a congregated  sheet.

Cheers

Osie

They look good and I think it would cost me about 400quid to cover a 6*3 area... Do you know the price in France and where to get them?

I found something similar 'Bitumen Felt Shingles' http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/shingles/birumen-felt-shingles.html .

It is about 1/2 the price... Do you know if it is any good?

Lots of different roofing options at Leroy Merlin from about 6 euros sq m upwards

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idLSPub=1158654527&renderall=on

Of cousre you would have to build a frame to support the roofing material.

If Leroys have this kind of stuff then so will the other brico sheds, try Bricoman or Home Depot for example

[quote user="osie"]They look good and I think it would cost me about 400quid to cover a 6*3 area... Do you know the price in France and where to get them?

I found something similar 'Bitumen Felt Shingles' http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/shingles/birumen-felt-shingles.html .
It is about 1/2 the price... Do you know if it is any good?

[/quote]  I used them to cover a roof on a garden chalet, great product worked really well and reasonably easy to fix in place.Although make sure you have a good plywood base to fix to.

Archived