Complete France Forum

Windows and doors - any recommendations?

fromage

A lot of people I know who have renovated or built their own houses have used Brico Depot. They make plastic and wooden ones all at reasonable prices. I personally can't speak for their windows but I have bought internal doors and their own version of a Velux 'skylight' (much cheaper than an actual Velux) and have never had a problem. A lot of their stuff is similar to B&B as they are owned by the same parent company.

Are you going to fit them yourself? If not, I can recommend Nord Charente Bois in Ruffec, who supply and install windows by "Millet", manufactured in north Deux-Sevres. Excellent service and VAT at 5.5% (now 7%) depending on circumstances. I saw that you're in Vienne, sometimes, so it depends whether you're on the Charente side or not. If you need a contact please PM me.

Other family members have bought Lapeyre products, made-to-measure, for DIY fitting, and they were excellent too. I'm going to try a couple of Bricodepot windows later this year for our gite, so I hope the other references on this thread are also valid.

[quote user="Quillan"]A lot of people I know who have renovated or built their own houses have used Brico Depot. They make plastic and wooden ones all at reasonable prices. I personally can't speak for their windows but I have bought internal doors and their own version of a Velux 'skylight' (much cheaper than an actual Velux) and have never had a problem. A lot of their stuff is similar to B&B as they are owned by the same parent company.[/quote]

You have to excuse him. He runs a Chambre d'hote. he means, of course, B&Q [:D]

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"][quote user="Quillan"]A lot of people I know who have renovated or built their own houses have used Brico Depot. They make plastic and wooden ones all at reasonable prices. I personally can't speak for their windows but I have bought internal doors and their own version of a Velux 'skylight' (much cheaper than an actual Velux) and have never had a problem. A lot of their stuff is similar to B&B as they are owned by the same parent company.[/quote]

You have to excuse him. He runs a Chambre d'hote. he means, of course, B&Q [:D]
[/quote]

Ooops sorry. [:(]

[quote user="Chancer"]I have bought and installed over 50 Bricodepot windows, doors, veluxes and volet roulants both UPVC and wood on my properties both sides of the channel and I do not have a bad word to say about them.[/quote]

Is there an issue on how they measure the windows. Is the size displayed on the Brico product the opening in the brickwork or something else

Do you dig away at the plaster around the window to find the edges of the frame? How much can you safely trim off the new frame to fit it in a smaller opening

John

When I've been looking in BricoDepot I found it impossible to actually get a close-up view of the windows. It's an important point because you're buying ready-made windows, not made to measure. I've been told by other buyers that the sizes are not exact (??). They must be exact, (!  [:)]) but what they meant was that having made apertures of a particular size the windows then didn't fit and the opening had to be altered; not always easy. If you buy made to measure you can draw the installation situation, take it when you order, and the windows will be made to fit "en tunnel" inside the opening, or whatever method you prefer.

I'm still going to try a couple of BD ones simply because the price is pretty well unbeatable.

Just so the OP knows what he is looking at I have given a couple of links below to wood and PVC windows sold by Brico Depot. The windows shown at the link are just to show the style and give a price for the smallest. If you click on the style of window you will get a list of all the different sizes and their price.

Wooden Windows

PVC Windows

The size given is for the hole that you want to fit it in to. They also sell the sill's and surrounds to match whatever windows you choose. The also have the PVC ones with built in shutters.

You might like to change the shop to one nearest to you as well as some shops have more items than others.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"] their own version of a Velux 'skylight' (much cheaper than an actual Velux) [/quote] Roto is another manufacturer rather than their own version which could put someone off unnecessarily.[/quote]

Not in Carcassonne or Perpignan they don't. There are only two manufacturers there, Velux and their own i.e. it has BricoDepot on the box. I know this because I am just about to go to the dump and throw the box (and a load of other box's) away. It could however be store dependent

The size given is for the hole that you want to fit it in to.

I feel the need to qualify that before someone makes an expensive mistake.

The dimensions given are 'Largeur/longeur du tableau" which are the finished window opening size however the window is intended to be fitted behind the wall ( sometimes hanging out in mid air if there is insulation) or into a rebate on the inside face of the wall, the windows will be approximately 5cm wider and 3cm higher than the quoted size, be carefull because sometimes the cill height is also added, sometimes not.

So if you want to fit your windows inside the brick/block opening (pose en tunnel) you will need to make the opening somewhat larger, it is best to have measured the windows in the store and if possible buy them as the sizes do vary between suppliers notably where the cill is concerned.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"] their own version of a Velux 'skylight' (much cheaper than an actual Velux) [/quote] Roto is another manufacturer rather than their own version which could put someone off unnecessarily.[/quote]

Not in Carcassonne or Perpignan they don't. There are only two manufacturers there, Velux and their own i.e. it has BricoDepot on the box. I know this because I am just about to go to the dump and throw the box (and a load of other box's) away. It could however be store dependent

[/quote]

I sit corrected [;-)]

Archived