Strange deposit

Blodwyn

Not sure which topic to post this in. When I hoover the tiles by the woodburner, I notice a pile of dark brown stuff which has obviously fallen from the chimney above. When I look up I can see what look a bit like spiders' webs with specks in high above. We tried spraying insect killer but it's still happening. I can't see any damage to the wood in the chimney, though it's very awkward to see. I' m a bit worried as to what's going on up there! Is the brown stuff chewed up wood?

Your chimney is made of wood? Eeek!

I'm sure it isn't, maybe it's the surround that's made of wood, and yes piles of brown dust are usually a sign of woodboring insects such as woodworm or vrillette whose English name I have forgotten (but if it's still appearing I don't think it will be vrillette cos I think they're only active in spring). Woodworm makes lots of small holes, vrillette make fewer but bigger ones. There are other sorts too but they're the only two kinds I've had the misfortune to have to deal with. Insect killer doesn't kill wood boring insects, you need to buy special stuff.

Dry rot also produces rust-coloured dust which is actually spores, but usually over a wider area not just tidy little heaps. It's very unlikely, fortunately because dry rot can be a nightmare.

No doubt other folk will have other suggestions of what it could be.

I think it's brick! The pipe from the stove goes straight up and is blocked in at ceiling level. (It's a single storey house).The fireplace is in the corner and the wood is the framework to hold the plasterboard in place over the chimney breast. This seems to be where the stuff falls down. The black dots in the web that fell down seemed to move, could be tiny spiders. The deposit is like rough sawdust but dark brown. It's been happening for quite a while now. I just wonder what might be being eaten up there.

Could it be birds? We have birds in our roof space.

They do peck at brickwork and cement - I've seen them at it.

The brickwork around one of our windows is quite badly pecked away. Perhaps it's when they're producing eggs.