Double-glazed pane and glazing bars

Ian

I'm planning to build a new door (fake, non-opening) which will be half-glazed. I'm going to use a single pane, but to match an existing door, it needs to look like it's four panes

I know I can have the pane made up with internal (fake) glazing bars, but it would look better if there were glazing bars on the outside. I've seen, somewhere, fake glazing bars which were stuck on to the window. I wonder whether these are suitable for use on the outside? If they are, can somebody point me to them?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
People, more information if you will....

I now know the visible size of the DG pane, to match the other door. How much larger does it have to be, to provide the bedding strip all round? I can make this any size I want (I'll just build the frame to suit), but I'm thinking of about 1.5cm overlap all round? (Plus 5mm clearance between it and the frame.)

I'll be fixing it in with internal quadrant, but what's the best stuff to bed the DG unit in?

And finally, where best to buy it? Has to be in France. LaPeyre is a possibility, as are the local (Chateauroux) Vitreries?

Thanks

You need a rebate of about 20mm to hide the spacer bars that they use to make the sealed unit, the DG unit will need to be made say 6mm smaller to allow for any tolérances, out of square etc, I think but you must check that you give the sealed unit maker the rebate sizes and they reduce the dimensions accordingly, best check

Good luck with finding anyone to even make one for you in France let alone in a reasonable time for a reasonable price, in the UK I have a choice of several small companies locally that offer an excellent economical and fast service. 2 evenings ago a training run took me past the workshop of what was the only remaining window manufacturer around here, judging by the weeds they went belly up a few years back, just to remain in business, to be competitive and meet their installation dates they had to buy their sealed units from other European countries, their counterparts in the UK would have had several local suppliers vying for their business plus national ones all geared up to give them what they wanted on time every time and at the best cost.