Qualified to file French tax returns or not?

JenMac

My husband is a chartered accountant in England. We are intending to move to France next year and he is intending on working by helping people file their tax returns. He can obviously file English ones but as he has not qualified in French accountancy, could he file French tax returns as well, as this would increase our income. Also would he need to sign up with the relevant union for this occupation? If any one can help would be greateful. Also if he is able to do this please e-mail if you would be interested in this kind of service, either with French or English tax returns please contact us.

You don't mention how good your french tax law language is for working in accountancy in France. I really don't think you are suitably qualified after talking to our french accountant on all the diplomas and qualifications he had to study for. Tax problems here are much more complicated and involved,plus the fact you will have to compete with university graduates intheir native land for work.

Jenmac

I am chartered accountant living in France also although I dont practice as such, I am in business. You might try ABAf, Association of British Accountants in France as a first port of call

What tosh about french taxes being more complicated - I know lots of people who do their own. Tax planning is complex of course but is an intense subject where ever you go (and I have never met a French accountant who understands the concept of tax planning.) British accountants are by far the highest paid in the world and make more than twice their French counterparts which is a reflection of the standard of training and their recognition around the world.

Jolly good luck to you, if you can get your head around the subject I am sure there is a market for you and of course I dont need to tell you that your qualifications have to be recognised according to the Treaty of Rome (and I have read it unlike most europhiles)

• 11 months later...
I am surprised Royston that you say the site still is not working.
I just tried and it views ok and there is an email link to contact them.
Also there are some new projects on there from when i last looked.
As i said before - we are happy, but i agree, there is alot to be said for being careful when choosing who to do your website.