Single(ish) woman

Alma

My friend's husband lives and works in U.K. and has done since she moved here with the kids. Last year she had her tax form sent back/had to fill in a second form with his details on. Why? as all he pays her is a weekly allowance. (they are not separated as yet but it is on the cards!) Can she this year just refuse to put his name on the form as he is not a resident?

I'm certainly no expert on French law, but just on a basic level it would seem reasonable that in any law's eyes (UK, French, take your pick), married people are treated as married for tax and other financial and legal purposes no matter what the estrangement (I suppose really rare bizarre circumstances could be mitigating). And here it certainly doesn't sound like estrangement if she hasn't sought legal separation much less something more "final" like divorce. Otherwise think of all the tax or other fraud that could be possible based on dubious claims of separation (not by the majority I'm sure! just begging the question). If this woman wants to be treated as not married and if there is no option for filing separate despite being married, then it seems up to her to terminate (legally) the marriage.

Camille

www.maisonquercy.com