Banking Cheques in France

Baz

I am going to France shortly and I have a French Euro cheque to pay into my account. As I am not going anyway near my Branch, am I right in assuming as in the UK I can bank this cheque into any Branch of my Bank.

Baz

Hi

Only just starting out on our french venture so to speak, so there may well me some who know a lot more about this. We did however have problems trying to bank a euro cheque into our french account. Our branch of Credit Agricole is in Saintes(17),we tried to bank our cheque in Montignac(24). We were told that we had to send it to our normal branch to be banked. I'm not sure about branches within the same department though. Can anyone answer on this one?

If you aren't going anywhere near your branch, then send it through the post, and remember to endorse it (sign the back of it) and put your account number on the back of it too. I usually enclose the photocopy of a RIB. That is what I would do.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought it would be interesting to give an update on Banking a Cheque at a different branch. I went to Reims with a letter addressed as recommended to post a cheque to my Branch in Narbonne. I happened to notice a Societe Generale Branch in the city and went in to ask if I could bank my cheque at their branch. Things a looking up in possibly the bigger French Banks as they accepted my deposit cheque without any problems and according to my Internet banking, my account was credited in 48 hours.

Baz