Just need confirmation about mortgage payments

Lavenderlady

Hello, new to this site, we've just got back from France having signed our compromis (hurrah!)

We were going to get our mortgage through Abbey National France, seems simple enough and reasonable rate (3.75%). But our agent immobilier put us in touch with a French lender who could give us a better rate (3.10%). Obviously a good saving, but how would it work for making monthly payments into a French bank (as we work and are paid in the UK). Have read about HIFX, is that the kind of company we could use to make regularly monthly payments or are they more suited to one-off payments? Our high-street bank charges 20 to transfer money so obviously no good for regular payments.

Are we better off just sticking with Abbey National do you think?

Thanks

We have our mortgage with Societe Generale in France and still live in the UK. The advantage of our offer was that we could have a cap and collar rate (ie tracks base rate but is also capped) I tried using Currencies Direct to set up a direct debit payment but they failed to send it on more than one occasion so I now use my UK Nat West account to do it.

The other advantage of having my account out there is that the UK do not seem to worry about me having two mortgages!

Kate 87
www.limousingites.net

HIFX offer a service where you buy the currency for the whole year in one transaction, at one rate, and then pay for it monthly over ten months. You have to provide the first and last month's payments (effectively months 1 and 12 to ensure bank delays etc are catered for.

• 3 weeks later...