Income Tax - "the 10% error law..."

Crevette

In speaking with some French friends the other day they mentioned that there is some law in France which means that "if you make a mistake with your income tax of up to 10% difference then it's not such a serious matter" ("le droit a 10%"?).

I presume by this that it is not considered to be a criminal offence/fraud if the error is up to 10% difference, and is considered fraud if the difference is greater than 10%?

The freind mentioned that her mother had made a mistake with the declaration, but because the difference was less that this 10%, then she had to pay a fine and the difference, nothing more.

Due to the complexities of my situation (where I am still paid in the UK but pay French income tax), and have received different opinions on how to file my tax form from different tax inspectors(!), it would be reassuring to know the details of this! I have had a quick search but not found anything.

Also, has anyone any experience of contacting the tax offfice by e-mail? (I see an e-mail address is listed on the tax return). If so, how quick do they get back to you? (given there is a deadline to file the tax return).

I want to clarify some issues and have some written confirmation back from them to say in black on white "this is our decision on this point". Does anyone know if e-mails are enough evidence if I was justifying "why I filled in my tax return in such a manner", or would I need "written" confirmation?

Regards,

-Rob-

There is an automatic 20% reduction in taxable income you declare, for salaries anyway, so long as the declaration does not have to be dragged out of you. I believe if you miscalculate beyond the 10% margin you lose that 20% reduction. I read that this year, that even the 10% can be depassed without penalty so long as you can show you acted in good faith.

Secondly if there are any grey areas, last year I wrote a letter and attached it to the declaration. It explained why I had done what I had done and gave justifications (from web sites, Calculez Vos Impots books etc). I also went to one of the seances run by the tax inspector and ran it past him, taking care to note his name! I did find the tax situation seemed more open to debate in France than in the UK though, the tax inspector seemed to be OK with any reasonable approach and just seemed happy we had taken the time and care to justify it.

Hi Rob

Don't know about the 10% margin for error, but I have been emailing our local tax office about our tax situation (subject of a separate posting) and they have been replying within a day or two at the most; still not totally convinced about the accuracy of the answer but they did at least respond quickly.

I've also tried the email contact on the main tax website because I wasn't happy with what the local office told us. As it's presumably the national enquiry helpline. I thought I might get a more accurate answer.

However, although they also responded within a day, they said they couldn't deal with my query and referred me back to the local office!

Karen