money from France to UK

SVP!

Hi, I have an account with La Poste here in France and also a UK bank account, can anyone help/suggest a way I can move money from my La Poste to UK. Can I write a french cheque in euors and pay it in? or are there ways to do this on-line?

thanks in advance

If you have the International Account Number for your UK account (IBAN) and the bank's SWIFT code, you should be able to do a transfer (versement).  This will be charged at the normal rate in France but you may get some exchange rate charges in the UK.

I am not familiar with La Poste but it may well be possible to do on line - if not then certainly at your local la Poste.

One thing to watch is that if you intend to transfer more than 12,500€ in one go, you will almost certainly have to go through a slightly different process (different forms) that allow the trnasfer to be registered with the anti-money laundering organisations.  This also costs more (typically 40-80€), so if possible I would break up larger transactions into smaller ones and transfer money over a number of weeks.  Of course if we are talking big money then this is not worth it for the saving of the extra charges.

Andy thanks for the info, I found the IBAN number on my statement, have been to La Poste and filled in the forms for transfer. The cost for less then 12500€ was 2,95€. Have also filled in the forms to setup the uk account online for future transfers.

Will be interesting to see what charges I get hit with at the other end and what exchange rate they'll offer.

Hi,

Try using one of the Currency Transfer companies that advertise in the magazine. We have used one to move money out to France. This included a free transfer to an account of our choice and a rate of 5-6 cents per euro better that quoted in the banks. This should also work moving money the other way. I realise that some companies state the amount should be for more than £5000, but they are prepared to quote on regular smaller amounts. Hope this helps.