House insurance renewal

Our renewal falls due in early October and I understand that you have to give notice to cancel it, if you want other quotes.  I was also told by a Frenchman that you have two weeks from the date of the renewal notice to advise your old insurance company that you don't want to renew, so I have been waiting for the renewal notice.

It still hasn't come, so I rang them today.  Apparently they don't send out renewal notices until two weeks before the expiry, but they insist on a minimum of two months' notice of cancellation!  Are they working a flanker on me, or are they correct?

And is there a legal period of time that you have to give notice, or is it according to the individual insurance companies?  Don't ask me to look through the T&C, they gave me an armful of paperwork when we signed up.

I'm not unhappy with the cover, but wish I had thought to get more quotes before renewal as their price seems rather high.  Anyway, I have pencilled this in next year's diary (yes, I am that sad that I have a 2009 diary!) but wonder if I can still get out of it this year.

We  wanted to change companies, so sent a registered letter to the original company telling them, and also stating that a renewal notice hadn't yet arrived. In fact a renewal notice never did arrive. We then sorted out with the new company. A letter arrived from the original lot apologising and telling us the year's fee would be repaid! They had actually taken money before the due date, and without sending a renewal notice!! This was repaid to our account immediately.

The original company was via the bank, and I'm told they rely on inertia, and that many people from UK are with them. The new company seems very on the ball, and their staff speak good English; they were originally recommended y someone on thos forum.

My understanding is that the rules changed on insurance, and the 2 months you mention can't be reinforced, but others will no doubt be along to set things straight.

Good luck, Jo

I'm presently engaged with my AXA broker on pretty much the same subject although in my case it's car insurance.

You are now coverd by the Loi Chatel which removes the onus of cancellation from you and places it on the insurance company to invite you to accept their offer of renewal. They must, as a minimum, send a notice detailing the next 12 months premium cost at least 15 days before your insurance anniversary date.

If the insurer sends the renewal notification any later than 15 days before the anniversary you should keep the post marked envelope as you then have a maximum of 20 days from the posting date to terminate. Google Loi Chatel for a clearer and more detailed explanation.

I have previously enjoyed a good relationship with my broker but on a visit yesterday they almost denied the existence of this law and reluctantly agreed to contact AXA to  ask why I have never received a renewal invitation even though my insurance anniversary date was 29 July. There seems too many instances of brokers still telling people that the old two month rule still applies.