my partner may have rhumatoid artheritis...

Blade

it stops him from work sometimes to the point at the mometn that he is barely able to work and we are just in process of moving to our house in france. can he get any disability payment in france if diagnosed with this? as i am a mum with 1 and half year old what help could i get for childcare etc if he cannot help. i know if you are a single mum there is quite a lot of help but what about with a partner with crippling illness? thanks in advance. any info and amount greatly appreciated.

Hello Blade

I don't know the answers to your specific questions but I would guess that it's unlikely that you will be able to relocate to France and then plug into their social security equivalent without ever having put anything in unless there are reciprocal agreements between our two countries. It would be far better for your partner to try to establish a right to a pension or a benefit in the UK before your move.

Bear in mind however that more and more of the benefits payable in the UK are no longer claimable ( winter fuel allowance, disability living allowance ) if you have already moved abroad before you try to make the claim.

Normally the staff in Newcastle are very helpful and you should maybe use them as your first port of call.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me might pick up this thread and offer better advice. Hope this helps.

Benjamin

There was a question in the Depeche du Midi yesterday: " I have

children to look after and I am handicapped. Can I have help every day

to cope with my work?"  ie a home help. The answer is from the

Caisse d'allocations familiales and says the only help may be at a time

of emergency, for a short time. Or "si vous touchez des allocations

familiales au titre d'un enfant a charge."  Not sure what this

means. For this you should enquire from the local ADAF - again I hope

someone can translate. Pat.