Finance

Bonz

I am thinking of buying a holiday/retirement home in France (Brittany) I have read the books and magazines and am planing a reserch trip later in the year. Can anyone recomend a mortgage advisor?

Many thanks Bonz

I used David Mcdonald having read a good recommendations on this forum, 

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/500171/ShowPost.aspx

He was very good, and saved us a lot of further worry and inconvenience.

We used a broker as we had unusual circumstances and were having a little difficulty obtaining one ourselves via our applications to French banks.  You might find applying directly to the banks suits you and your circumstances better but I have no hesitation in recommending this gent.

Bonz,  are you currently living in the UK ?

If so, you should consider the fact that your pension / income will be from the UK and it may be better to take out a mortgage there so as to avoid any difficulties due to currency fluctuations in the future. You will find it much easier to raise a mortgage or remortgage against your home in the UK which you could organise in advance so that you have the money in the bank ready to buy.

If you still wish to investigate the possibility of a French mortgage, you could start with Credit Agricole Britline www.britline.com where you can chat to an English advisor and also arrange the opening of a French bank account.