Taxe d,Habitation

maude

Can someone please explain the exemptions from taxe d,habitation for the over 60,s on low incomes (works pension)We are here "permanently" and this is the first bill we have received in 3 years even after querying this with the local Tresorie.Have this in writing.Also included is the audiovisuelle, for the first time.All our tax records have been entered on -line and we do not pay tax on our revenue.Many thanks for any replies .   Maude

Here is the official position from the impots.fr website regarding exoneration from tax d'habitation:

Tax D'Habitation

Tax on dwellings, tax on land: total exemption for the low incomes

(16/03/06)

The conditions required to obtain exemption from the habitation tax on dwellings and the land tax on constructed properties from now on are fixed.

New conditions concerning resources.

The total exemption applies to taxable persons in France whose tax reference for the year 2005 does not exceed 7,417 euros for the first part, increased to 1,981 euros for each additional half-part (991 euros in the event of additional quarter of share). These income ceilings were fixed by a decree published at the Official Journal of Saturday March 11, 2006.

Other conditions are also required to obtain total exemption from habitation tax:

Tax on a dwelling:

It is necessary as at January 1, 2006 to be either over 60 years of age, or to be a widow/widower and not be subject to wealth tax in 2005, or to be in receipt of the handicapped adults allowance (AAH), or to be crippled or invalid and not being able work.

Tax on land:

It is necessary as at January 1, 2006 to be either to aged over 75 years or to receive the handicapped adult allowance (AAH).

I too have just received my taxe d'habitation avis for 2006 which is very confusing. Firstly there are 3 occupants, myself, my partner (we are not married) and our 16 year old daughter. Both my partner and I submitted our impostions des revenus, with our daughter included on my form, yet when we received our taxe d'habition avis, only myself was named under occupants but as 1.5 parts which obviously takes our daughter into account. The revenue (RFR) is quoted correctly as 9354 euros which according to the information on the last message is less than the ceiling for 1.5 parts which works out at 9398 euros (7417+1981). Comparing this years figures to those of 2005 we have only received a reduction of 35% of the gross figure, whereas it seems we are entitled to complete exonoration even taking into account that my partner has not been included in these calculations.

When we received our avis d'imposition des revenus, both stated that there were no impositions due. I would be grateful if anyone can make any sense of it at all.

I am 48 and my partner is 57. Last year (2005) we had a slightly lower income than this year, but submitted our impots des revenus too late so received our  avis taxe d'habitation for the full amount which we paid. After our impots des revenus were calculated and were advised that no impots were due, we received a refund of the whole amount of taxe d'habitation. I assumed that was because of our low income. Have the rules changed this year to only allow exemptions to the over 60s?

Hi

I've just had my Tax d'habitation bill and it's really, really low, I read your thread and following your info can see that they have marked our RFR as 958, which although means we only have 30 euro to pay in Tax d'habitation is woefully wrong!  I think they've missed off a digit looking at last years and any way we are way over that now , I will have to tell someone as things like this worry me.  It would seem though that the previous poster is right as we have incorreclty become below threshold but are in our early 40's so age seems not to make a difference, many low income (or none) probably don't do a tax return so the revenue doesn't know thyey are on a low income, perhaps that explains it.

I hope this helps the original poster but for me I'm going to go tell them they made a boob, just for piece of mind!

Regards

Hi again,

Thanks everyone, for your comments,

Yesterday, our English neighbours (who are of similar ages to us although married),  told us that they too had received a reduction in their taxe d'habitation.The original bill was substantially more than ours, but after the reduction is substantially less than we have to pay!  We did not discuss their personal income but they do not have any persons in charge and are both stated as occupants on their avis. Perhaps the problem lies with the fact that my partner is not included on our avis, therefore the tax authorities presume that the RFR relates to 1.5 people when it actually relates to 2.5. I will be visiting my local tax office  next week to 'hopefully' sort it out'!!! (fingers crossed)[+o(]

We got a reduction to almost zero this year for Taxe d'Habitation and we're nowhere near 60.  Our income last year was very low. 

We were not let off Taxe Foncière though, as we are not over the age threshold and are not on benefits, which is a requirement in addition to low income in order to be exonerated from TF.

Yes, it would be nice if there were any exemptions from taxe foncières for those under 75, but I assume if you own a property , then the authorities assume you have the means to pay for it! Although it doesn't work for those who have inherited,  but perhaps that's why there are so many properties which have been left to become inhabitable which we foreigners seem to make a bee-line for. Unfortunately , lots of these 'new' property owners are finding that after they have made the properties habitable again, and  being re-assessed for taxes etc. are having a big shock when the taxe foncières bills are received.[:$]