Tax return - number of rooms

Rob G

Hi,

Just filling in our French tax returns for the very first time. I have a question which you would think would be very simple, but to which I cannot find an answer anywhere (including in the guidance notes to the form).

On the main form 2042, in the very first section where you are asked to complete your address as at 1st January 2007, there is a box which says "Nbre de pièces" (number of rooms). As this is used for calculating the taxe d'habitation, I'm keen to get it right. Does anyone know what the definition of "number of rooms" is? Is it every single room in the house, or does it exclude, for example, kitchens and bathrooms? What about garages, sous-sols, halls/landings etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Nothing like answering your own question...

Suppose I should have thought to do this before posting really... I've just phoned the "centre des impôts" and asked them. They said the number of rooms only includes what they call "pièces principales" or "pièces d'habitation" - i.e. bedrooms, lounges, living rooms etc. In particular, it excludes kitchens, bathrooms, hallways/landings, sous-sols etc.

One more question I can tick off the list. It amazes me how they can provide so many guidance notes but still fail to give guidance on soem fairly basic questions!

Rob

Not exactly true. Having filled in several h1 forms confusion abounds even at the tax office about the treatment for kitchens, different rules apply for open kitchens, kitchens less than 9m2 and over 9m2.

Other difficulties seem to arise with the charging of tax d'equip which can add €2,500 to the cost of a new house or extension, depending on the department involved.