Tax (again - sorry!)

Mark

I'm resident and taxable in France under French tax laws, but I'll be temping in England in November and December.  Do I simply not pay tax and NI from my English earnings at all, and then surrender any tax due on my English income in France in the next tax year at French rates, or do I 'PAYE' in England at the time, and use my former NI number to do so?  And I guess if it's the latter, I then also declare the earnings when I'm back in France and go down the double taxation route to claim back the tax I paid in England? 

Thanks. 

When you get your French tax form for 2007, you declare your British income in the box for income from overseas on which tax has already been paid. This means that you will not be taxed again, although if it takes your household income into a higher bracket in France there may be some extra to pay.

[quote user="Mark"]I'm resident and taxable in France under French tax laws, but I'll be temping in England in November and December.  Do I simply not pay tax and NI from my English earnings at all, and then surrender any tax due on my English income in France in the next tax year at French rates, or do I 'PAYE' in England at the time, and use my former NI number to do so?  And I guess if it's the latter, I then also declare the earnings when I'm back in France and go down the double taxation route to claim back the tax I paid in England? [/quote]

Just to clarify, although it can be inferred from Will's response, you will end up paying tax (I do not know about the NI) on your UK income in the UK - in fact most employers will deduct the tax automatically.

Regards

Pickles

Yes, if you are on PAYE, NI contributions will be automatically deducted too. If you are leaving dependents in France you may need to look into the possibility of E109 or similar for them to ensure they remain covered.