another RFR query

R&R

Following on from the last two posts and pertinent to them both,  my partner completed the tax declaration 2006  exactly as required (including  form 2047 for income from abroad).   Nothing very much changed on his declaration as his sole income is a teachers pension, indexed linked.   The revenu fiscal de reference however has increased disproportionate to the annual pension increase and will, as with the last post, affect cotisations etc quite considerably.

I took Sunday Driver's advice and link on a previous post to calculate the rfr,  however, when I tried to enter the amount received in the relevant section TI (revenus a l'etranger - which is exonerated as it is obligatorily taxed in UK) a pop up stated that this section was too complex to be calculated online and to depend upon the local tax office to calculate!  Out of interest, I put the income which would have been entered in that section into another section - AS.    After validating those figures the online calculator came up with the precise RFR which my partner has received.

If there is a complex way of calculating the RFR using income compulsorily taxed  in UK, does anyone know what it is, please?  Has it changed considerably as the figure reached this year is vastly different to other years.  We are hoping that this might be a tax official's error but if not all the other years we have got off lighter might come back to haunt us.

Last year, they abolished the additional 20% abatement and compensated by raising the tax band thresholds.  This year you only get the standard 10% abatement which is deducted from your total income, leaving you with the RFR.  Tax is then calculated on that figure.

Regarding your simulation, you have to enter your UK pensions in box AS for the RFR and tax calculation.  Additionally entering them in Box TI credits off the tax based on box AS - it has no effect on the RFR.

Thank you for thatSunday Driver, however I am still confused as the figures don't add up.  After deducting the 10% abatement from total income the RFR still totals a lot more than last years income minus 20%.  The income in question was fairly modest to start with - are those on lower incomes subsidising the tax breaks for those on higher incomes here in the French tax system, as in the UK from this years budget?