Paying in sterling?

Chris

As a potential buyer, I've noticed a few private sellers returning to the UK who say they are willing to accept most of the money in sterling. The advantages of avoiding a double currency exchange are very clear, and should obviously be reflected in the price to be paid, but I still have questions.

Apart from the obvious one of is it legal(!), what proportion of the money must still be paid in euros, and at what stage in the process? Does paying in sterling raise any special complications? How does the process work, since I thought the money had to pass through the accounts of a notaire in France?

All ideas gratefully received!

Chris

It certainly is.  Due to complete in a fortnight and everything is still going well.  (posted details on the first thread mentioned above).

As a matter of interest Nord Charente Homes website discusses this possibility and they have already lined up a number of owners prepared to accept sterling.  (I have no relationship with NCH).  Search around for a notaire who is prepared to act in this way, I get the impression they are short of work and are accepting work they previously would have refused to do.