Exoneration from taxe d'habitation

Wynne Skreenwipa

I am a widow of just over a year,and trying to get my life in france back on the rails. i have applied for exoneration from tax d'habitation and received a reduction to €400. This is exactly the amount of interest I declared as my sole income in my corresponding 'Declaration des revenus'.
Can anyone tell me what the basis of assessment is for tax d'habitation exoneration and is it a co-incidence that the two amounts are the same?

T I A

Wynne

You are exempt from tax d'habitation if you are a widow and your revenu fiscal de reference is 9,437€ (single person) or less.  The exemption is applied automatically and is based on the information you provided in your last tax declaration.  I have no idea how they arrived at the 400€ you mention.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You are exempt from tax d'habitation if you are a widow and your revenu fiscal de reference is 9,437€ (single person) or less.  The exemption is applied automatically and is based on the information you provided in your last tax declaration.  I have no idea how they arrived at the 400€ you mention.

[/quote]

Thank you, Sunday Driver, for that bit of information about the revenu fiscal; it's so difficult getting to the bottom of these things. Even though my neighbour is very helpful with translations and talking to 'officials' for me, I don't like to divulge too much personal info. to him.  If  you, or anyone else, can give me guidance on what to do next I would be very grateful. I have visted the tax offices  before, but found it very stressful and if they become assertive and I don't know what my rights are, I back away. Is there anywhere I can get some translations of the appropriate documents into english, as my french is 'only a little'?

T I A

Wynne

Here is a translation of the habitation tax guidance note as published in the Impots website:

EXEMPTION FROM TAX D’HABITATION

People on low incomes are eligible for a total exemption for their principal residence. Beneficiaries of this exception would therefore no pay tax d’habitation.

To do so, they must meet certain conditions, including resources and cohabitation.  To qualify for exemption from tax d’habitation on your principal residence, you must, as of 1 January this year, fulfil the following conditions:

• Be:
    - either older than 60 years and not liable to wealth tax (ISF) in the previous year
    - or a widower or widow, whatever your age and not liable to the ISF in the previous year
    - or recipient of income support (RMI)
    - or recipient of the additional allowance (see articles L 815-2, L 815-3 of the Social Security Code transformed into articles L 815-1 and L 815-24)
    - or entitled to adult disability allowance
    - or be infirm or disabled and unable to support yourself by your work

• The amount of your income tax reference of the previous year must not exceed certain limits (see below). The income limit is not required for holders of the additional allowance or for RMI recipients
  • Occupy your home:
    - either alone or with your spouse
    - or with people who are dependent on you for the calculation of income tax
    - or with people receiving the additional allowance
    - or with people whose income tax reference for the previous year does not exceed certain limits (details below)

The exemption is granted without action on your part. However, if you are eligible and if it has not been granted, ask your local tax office, particularly if you qualify for the exemption for the first time.

Income Limits:

For 2007 tax d’habitation, take the revenu fiscal de reference from your 2006 tax avis.  The income limits which must not be exceeded depend on the number of ‘parts’ used to calculate the income tax.

No of parts    Maximum RFR

1                        9,437€                  ie, a single person

1.5                   11,957€

2                      14,477€