Problems with USA credit/debit cards

Joerger École

Hello,

We are Americans living in France for the last 6-7 years.  In addition to using our French bank card, we have also used a couple of American crdit/debit cards for purchases and to withdraw cash.  We have only had the occasional problem.  However, right now some friends are staying in our place in France while we are in the USA for a few months. They report that they have been unable to use their USA based debit/credit cards in cash machines and for purchases. Their bank is tellingthem they must now go into a bank and ask for a cash withdrawal rather than using cash machines or credit purchases.

Has anyone had trouble using their USA bank cards recently?  Is there something new going on with USA bank cards?  We need to know so we can plan for our return in one month. Any help is much appreciated.

Jim

Samdebretagne

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with what you are saying as we had a few problems of that sort over the years. Still my friends are saying that their bank tells them there is nothing they can do.  It seems odd.  I am wondering if anyone has had a good experience before but now there is some kind of block on their account(s)?  I will check with my own bank to see if they know of any reason this would be happening.

Jim

My wife and I have USA bank debit cards which work in Europe without any problem, except that the bank charges us $1 for each "foreign" transaction in addition to whatever they make on the exchange rate.

One curiosity is that in Europe we are never asked for a PIN, always for a signature.  But that doesn't really matter.

Our bank is certainly not a major national bank, just a moderately important regional one.  I'm sorry I can't suggest anything, except maybe saying to your bank "Fifth Third of Cincinnati can do it, why can't you do it?"