Social Charges on UK rental income

Hereford

I recently posted a query regarding the charging of Social charges on an Invalidity pension.  Our friend has now tackled her tax office over this and they tell her that it was not the pension that was being charged but her UK rent received (the figures being almost identical).

We have UK rent and have never been charged for Social charges on this.  UK rent is "non-imposable" for tax in France and we had assumed this applied to Social charges too and therefore our tax office was correct. The rent is of course added to other income to find the tax band.

Anyone out there with Uk rent who could comment?

Mrs H

[quote user="Hereford"]I recently posted a query regarding the charging of Social charges on an Invalidity pension.  Our friend has now tackled her tax office over this and they tell her that it was not the pension that was being charged but her UK rent received (the figures being almost identical).

We have UK rent and have never been charged for Social charges on this.  UK rent is "non-imposable" for tax in France and we had assumed this applied to Social charges too and therefore our tax office was correct. The rent is of course added to other income to find the tax band.[/quote]

I'm not in this position but have done some research because it would affect our decision-making. My understanding is that CMU can be charged but not CSG, CRDS and PS. UK rent is taxable in the UK, and has to be declared in France. It may be that it was declared in the wrong box in the tax return.

Regards

Pickles

Thanks for this reply.  She is adamant that it was puit in the right box (i.e. the box we told her). We have sent in four tax returns including our rent and have never been charged CSG.  Our friend has an E121 for disability so does not contribute to the CMU.

We will make sure we see what box she uses this year and see what happens!

H.