Amazing behaviour of French bank

allanb

I had some horrendous experiences with the first bank I used in France, and I finally closed the current account about a year ago.  (I probably shouldn't mention the name, but it was a popular bank.)

I also had a tax-qualified savings account with them, which I couldn't close at the same time because there would have been penalties.  About six months ago the date arrived when I could close it, and I did so, with a request to transfer the balance to my new account.  Which they did.

They didn't send me any statement showing how the amount was calculated, but that didn't surprise me, because getting information from them had always been like extracting a tooth without anaesthetic.  The amount looked about right, so I just accepted it.

Last week I got a phone call.  They had made a mistake.  They had charged me €4.50 for the transfer, and they shouldn't have done.  So they now owed me €4.50; could I drop in some time and collect it?  No, sorry, they couldn't just send a cheque; it had to be settled in cash.

After the cost of fuel and parking, I haven't made a lot of money on the deal, but it's the thought that counts.   All my previous comments are withdrawn; I now think French bankers are generous, warm-hearted people.

[quote user="allanb"]I had some horrendous experiences with the first bank I used in France, and I finally closed the current account about a year ago.  (I probably shouldn't mention the name, but it was a popular bank.)

I also had a tax-qualified savings account with them, which I couldn't close at the same time because there would have been penalties.  About six months ago the date arrived when I could close it, and I did so, with a request to transfer the balance to my new account.  Which they did.

They didn't send me any statement showing how the amount was calculated, but that didn't surprise me, because getting information from them had always been like extracting a tooth without anaesthetic.  The amount looked about right, so I just accepted it.

Last week I got a phone call.  They had made a mistake.  They had charged me €4.50 for the transfer, and they shouldn't have done.  So they now owed me €4.50; could I drop in some time and collect it?  No, sorry, they couldn't just send a cheque; it had to be settled in cash.

After the cost of fuel and parking, I haven't made a lot of money on the deal, but it's the thought that counts.   All my previous comments are withdrawn; I now think French bankers are generous, warm-hearted people.

[/quote]

Think you all must be use the wrong banks. have  had a account with one now 19yrs. And have nothing but praise for them,if i wish advice about things they come to the house to see me,that was there wishes not mine.

It could be that we live in a small canton village that has three different banks.but still that is to my advantage.