Banks offering attractive saving rates

Clair

From 1st January 2009, the Livret A saving account, previously only available from the Caisse d'Epargne and the Banque Postale, will be available from all banks.

In the hope that this will trigger a substantial number of new accounts, banks have started to offer more attractive rates and new savings accounts.

Although, unlike the Livret A, the interest will be subject to tax deductions, these new savings accounts offer a good earning opportunity:

• AGF livret Atout Avenir: 7% gross (5% nett); for customers committing to open a Livret A before 31 March 09; offer is valid until 31 January 09 and a deposit up to 15 300 €.
  • ING

Direct
    : has a promotional rate of 6% gross

on its livret Orange until the end of January and a pre-booking offer at 7%

gross for its Livret A.
  • Axa Banque: has changed the scale of its superlivret rate. From 1 October 08, the rate of the superlivret will be 3.5% from 1€ up to 15 300 € and 4% beyond. From 1 January 09,

customers can open a Livret A earning 4% net up to 15 300 € then open a superlivret earning 4% gross

on unlimited deposits.
  • HSBC: Livret ResA, available from 17 September 08, will pay 6.20%

gross up to 16 000 € until 31 December 08, then will be

transformed into a Livret A from 1 January 09.
Info on Livret A: available to all residents in France, deposit 1.5 €, max ceiling 15 300 €, current rate (reviewed twice a year) set at 4%, interest not subject to tax deductions.

(source lefigaro.fr/)

May I just add that you can take out as much as you like by transferring it to your current account and writing a cheque or making a virement from there, as long as you can tolerate a couple of days' delay. 

This is certainly true of the Banque Postale.  I don't know for sure about other banks, but I would guess that it's the same for any Livret A.