Tax on Holiday Rental income

Owens88

Hi

As I understand it I can offset my mortgage interest against rental income for income tax purposes in France.

Does  that only apply if the mortgage is french bank ? Given the costs of remortgaging

(especially the 2 % start-up tax see http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1515764/ShowPost.aspx ) I was thinking of the consequences of extending our UK mortgage to embrace the french property.

Thanks

John

Hello

I can only comment on the way it works for me, the interest on the mortagage is reported against the income from rental for the same property thus reducing tax liability on that income.  It can not be applied to other income steams.  The 'start-up tax' as you call it does not come into it as far as I know.

Panda

Thanks

To be clear I am asking whether I could attribute UK interest against a French Holiday Let tax liability - e.g. if I extended my UK mortgage to cover the debt on the French property.

All the other stuff I said was really intended to explain why I might go such a tortuous route !

Cheer

John

Hi

I did mean only costs related to the French premises - but drawn on a UK bank and secured against a UK property. i.e. I borrow the money in the UK for my french property but use a uk property as the security instead of using the french property (which seems to add 3% in stamp duty just for a re-mortgage - see separate thread).

e.g. I understand that the UK tax man recognises interest costs against buy to let income irrespective of how the 'loan or mortgage' is secured - so it can be secured against a property which is not the purpose of the loan.

I suspect that I am digging into a black hole here which would only be answered by asking 5 french professsionals and hoping that at least 4 had the same answer.

Thanks all anyway.

John

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Owens88"]

I am digging into a black hole here which would only be answered by asking 5 french professsionals and hoping that at least 4 had the same answer.

John

[/quote]

p.s. No slur intended to anybody here. We have , unfortunately, found with some other enquiries that French professionals can often disagree even while all proclaiming 'c'est la Loi !'