reclaiming overpaid social charge

seb47

I remember reading a post last year from someone who had successfully persuaded their tax office that social charge had been mistakenly levied on their UK state retirement pension, and they had been able to reclaim from previous years' overpayments. I can't find the message now after a long search and am hoping that someone - or that person - can help. Our neighbour is in exactly the same position, following bad professional tax advice and incorrectly completed tax return.

Cheers,

It sounds as if your neighbour has been incorrectly advised to enter his UK state pension in box TL of his tax declaration.  That has the effect of generating the 0,5% CRDS social charge on a foreign pension.

He should take a copy of his E121 into his tax office and explain that this means he is not 'a la charge' of the French assurance maladie therefore his foreign pension should not be subject to the CRDS charge.  If the tax office play dumb, then he can refer them to tax guidance note 2041GG which explains it all.

[quote user="seb47"]Thanks SD - I've forwarded your reply to them - hope that works![/quote]

Hi,

If they still have problems (and some friends of mine were refused even after sending a clear explanatory letter) they can write to their departmental "mediateur fiscal" --I did this for my friends and they received a refund within 6 weeks.    If it becomes necessary they can email me for a "model" letter .

Just another tip in case of problems. If your tax inspector does not like your E121 for any reason (as happened in my case) go to your local CPAM office and ask them for an "attestation" to the effect that your medical costs are covered by the UK. The tax man accepted that without comment in my case.