Increased Taxe Fonciere after submitting an H1

Araucaria

We sent in an H1 after finally finishing our barn conversion in October 2009, and I've had an increased taxe fonciere bill for 2010.

I thought I was told at the tax office that I'd get a three year holiday before I had to pay at the higher rate, but perhaps that was just for the taxe d'habitation. Does anyone know how the arrangements are supposed to work for the taxe fonciere?

Normally for a new property the rule is no TF for the year of construction and none for the following 2 years. Not sure about a barn conversion. On the other hand you normally have to pay taxe d'equipment, 50% eighteen months after you get your planning permission and the balance 36 months after the planning, this normally equates to 3 years TF, so they get you either way.

Well I didn't find out if it was a mistake today - there was a huge demonstration in Aurillac, streets full of umbrellas and banners, and just about every single government employee was on strike. Particularly the tax office, where there was just a nice receptionist who suggested I should come back tomorrow.

Sorted it this morning at the tax office.

They said they thought we had simply improved the existing farmhouse, rather than converted the barn. Possibly "improved" was a euphemism for "suddenly become honest about the size of", as previously the farmhouse was - correctly - recorded as 84m2 and the barn is 209m2 ....

Anyway, they apologised and said they'd put it right before the payment is taken in mid-October.