French tax return but UK resident.

joidevie

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I'm not sure where I stand - I last year received a French tax return to my UK address (where I am resident), which I filled in and have now received  the avis. I sold the French house in Sept 09 but my tax avis 'référence' states "address d'imposition au 01/01/2010" as the place I sold, which was in 09. Will this carry through to generating bills for foncieres & habitation? Will tax returns continue to arrive in the future?

My last declaration was addressed to the UK so I assumed that that was now my 'address', but the reference to "address d'imposition au 01/01/2010" is confusing me. Pre printed on the "votre addresse" section on the declaration were words to the effect of 'if you have earned income in France after your departure abroad, please fill...' so I assumed that they knew my correct address?

Also, at the time of the sale, the 'plus-values' were all sorted by the notaire and paid directly from the sale price, should this have been included in the declaration?

Many thanks.

[quote user="joidevie"]Hi, I hope someone can help.

I'm not sure where I stand - I last year received a French tax return to my UK address (where I am resident), which I filled in and have now received  the avis. I sold the French house in Sept 09 but my tax avis 'référence' states "address d'imposition au 01/01/2010" as the place I sold, which was in 09. Will this carry through to generating bills for foncieres & habitation? Will tax returns continue to arrive in the future?

My last declaration was addressed to the UK so I assumed that that was now my 'address', but the reference to "address d'imposition au 01/01/2010" is confusing me. Pre printed on the "votre addresse" section on the declaration were words to the effect of 'if you have earned income in France after your departure abroad, please fill...' so I assumed that they knew my correct address?

Also, at the time of the sale, the 'plus-values' were all sorted by the notaire and paid directly from the sale price, should this have been included in the declaration?

Many thanks.

[/quote]

Hi,

On the form 2042 page 1, there is a space to show any change of address, check your copy to see  you have correctly filled this in. If not , and you receive a form next year fill in just that part and send it back with a covering note ( Provided you have no french income in the relevant year.

The plus-values were fully dealt with by the notaire.

[quote user="joidevie"]So, will the possible mistake on the dates generate Taxes H & Foncieres?

Cheers

[/quote]

Hi,

They may do , but once you amend your declaration, and explain, you  won't have to pay. The change of ownership should have been notified by the notaire.